Alexa Smart Home

Welcome to the Alexa Smart Home Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Smart Home Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa Smart Home.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add identification of echo device to smart home skill API calls

In my smart home skill It would be cool to have the echo device available which calls the skill.
    The reason is that at the moment I have to name the smart home devices specific to every room.
    So when I'm in my living room if have to say "Alexa, turn on the light in the living room" and when I'm in my office I have to say "Alexa, turn on the light in the office".

If I would see the calling device in my smart home solution I could build a virtual device "light" which would switch different actors…

33 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Whole Home API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Smart Home Skills to utilize a direct web service URL instead of Lambda

We have several Smart Home skills in which the Lambda component only acts as a passthrough to our real servers. This adds a fair bit of overhead to every call since Lambda invocation must recreate a full SSL connection to our main backend. In cases where our main backend is in a different AWS region than Alexa, this can add up to several hundred milliseconds. There is no way with Lambda to keep a persistent connection open, so every request has to start from scratch.

Custom skills don't have this restriction.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Whole Home API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. We don't have possibility discover Groups (only Devices and Scenes).

Now we have possibility to create list of devices and scenes on server side and Alexa Service will discover them. It would be great to add possibility to discover Groups created on our server side with devices added to this groups. We need this because in our service devices structured by groups (rooms) and will be nice to see the same structure in Alexa Smart Home App.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Whole Home API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow for custom error messages that Alexa can say out loud for SmartHome skill api

In the Smart Home Skill API, please add Error Responses where we can send some custom messages to Alexa.. e.g. use case:

If for a Scene which sets all the user devices to a certain mode, only some of the devices were set successfully.. it will be helpful to send a response to alexa saying "only some of your devices responded successfully"

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Whole Home API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Api to control alexa smart home devices

I would like to have an API so that I can build and app.or a web service that can control any smart home device defined by Alexa.

I would use this to create my own routine server

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Whole Home API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base