Alexa Smart Home

Welcome to the Alexa Smart Home Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Smart Home Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa Smart Home.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support for blinds (or shades) in smart home with open/close/stop/move to % and as display category

Hi Alexa,

1. There is not BLIND or SHADES as Display Category availabe https://developer.amazon.com/docs/device-apis/alexa-discovery.html#display-categories, so please can you add support for this ?

2. Blinds (or shades) can be opened, closed, stoped, or moved to specific percent position, but open or close doesn't exist in any kind of controller, we can try to use Alexa.PercentageController for percent movements, but should be really important for us to have all this features under BLIND (or shades) category.

Can you please include those two features in alexa smart home ?

Thanks,

86 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  9 comments  ·  Home Automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The ability to copy routines

Please give the ability to copy routines in the same screen where you can delete/play routine.

This is needed because the current grouping mechanism only allows for on/off functionality in routines. Which means every device needs to be on the routine individually if you want anything more than simple on/off. I have 17 lines just for basic lighting and replicating that info is very labor intensive and time consuming.

Having the ability to copy routines, adjust parameters, and save as new name/time would save me tons of time as I grow my smart home.....or give us the ability to control…

57 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  21 comments  ·  Home Automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add identification of echo device to smart home skill API calls

In my smart home skill It would be cool to have the echo device available which calls the skill.
    The reason is that at the moment I have to name the smart home devices specific to every room.
    So when I'm in my living room if have to say "Alexa, turn on the light in the living room" and when I'm in my office I have to say "Alexa, turn on the light in the office".

If I would see the calling device in my smart home solution I could build a virtual device "light" which would switch different actors…

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Whole Home API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I suggest adding the “close” directive to the “Alexa.LockController” that does the same thing, so it can be used for garage door.

To close the garage door or asking if garage door is open, one can use the LockController interface. The only problem is that you should use lock/unlock words instead of close/open. One option is to support/understand these words and treat them as lock/unlock directives. Another option is to create a new interface for all kinds of doors and can be open/closed.

I understand that the “open” may not be safe in some situations. But the designer/end user can decide to enable/disable this directive.

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks for the suggestion, Shahab! We’ll get this routed over to the appropriate internal team for review.

5. Allow Smart Home Skills to utilize a direct web service URL instead of Lambda

We have several Smart Home skills in which the Lambda component only acts as a passthrough to our real servers. This adds a fair bit of overhead to every call since Lambda invocation must recreate a full SSL connection to our main backend. In cases where our main backend is in a different AWS region than Alexa, this can add up to several hundred milliseconds. There is no way with Lambda to keep a persistent connection open, so every request has to start from scratch.

Custom skills don't have this restriction.

12 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Whole Home API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable non lighting devices to be recognised as lights

Have Alexa be able to recognise items like TP Link smart switches as lights by means of a toggle switch within the device lists. Currently calling the turn off all the lights command excludes the smart switches. Creating a group called all the lights seems to cause confusion for Alexa.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Create a generic/custom smart home skill controller

It would be great to be able to define a smart home skill controller that can perform a custom action/capability from a defined list.

In my case I've got PTZ cameras and want to be able to say something like: 'Alexa, set [hallway camera] to [door].'.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Cameras  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Grouping API feature

Give developers access to create groups while device discovery.

It cuts the overhead of creating group manually in alexa app

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Whole Home Metadata  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. We don't have possibility discover Groups (only Devices and Scenes).

Now we have possibility to create list of devices and scenes on server side and Alexa Service will discover them. It would be great to add possibility to discover Groups created on our server side with devices added to this groups. We need this because in our service devices structured by groups (rooms) and will be nice to see the same structure in Alexa Smart Home App.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Whole Home API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to use Low, Medium, and High as presets for PowerController

Instead of saying - turn to 30% or turn to 5, it would be nice to say, turn lights to low (or medium, or high) and this equate to a setting as defined by the manufacturer. This would be using for fans as well as yet to be designed products

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Smart Device Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. SmartHome Lights additional property: Effect

Can you add additional property beside, poweron/off, color, level, brightness I need something that can pass additional parameter.
    E.g. I have individually controlled leds and want to animate them with some effect...

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow for custom error messages that Alexa can say out loud for SmartHome skill api

In the Smart Home Skill API, please add Error Responses where we can send some custom messages to Alexa.. e.g. use case:

If for a Scene which sets all the user devices to a certain mode, only some of the devices were set successfully.. it will be helpful to send a response to alexa saying "only some of your devices responded successfully"

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Whole Home API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Additional types for switches

Wemo switches can now be configured with the type of "light". This allows for grouping lights per room. Saying "Alexa turn on the lights" will just turn on the lights in the room with your echo device for example. This is great, but switches can also be hooked u to things that aren't lights. I'd love to be able to say "Alexa, turn on the fans" and have it work per/room as well. Any chance we could get additional types added to this smart home feature?

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Smarthome thermostat - return new state after command

It would be ideal if Alexa returned the current state when setting the power, modes or temperature. Currently when walking into a new room a user is blind when they ask to turn the thermostat on. Even if it was an option in the return API call, Alexa should use the existing language to say something like "The thermostat is set to cool to 66 degrees"

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  HVAC-EM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Api to control alexa smart home devices

I would like to have an API so that I can build and app.or a web service that can control any smart home device defined by Alexa.

I would use this to create my own routine server

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Whole Home API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow Smart Home skill to deliver custom error messages

It would be great to be able to deliver custom error messages to the user.
    User case: In case of ChannelController if user request non existing channel that Alexa shall respond with custom error message like: "Channel XYZ not found".

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Home Automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Set volume of a group

What it says in the title

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Home Automation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support gradual change of smart lights

Currently, light brightness or color temperature can only be changed to a set value, which happens immediately. I would like to be able to change to a value gradually -- e.g., "set light brightness to 100% over 5 minutes". This would be extremely useful in routines.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Lighting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. The ability for a routine to turn the screen off on W how show

At night, or when leaving home, a goodnight or goodbye routine should turn the screen off to save energy.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support for automated furniture

We have created a custom skill for controlling automated furniture, but it would be nice to have a Smart Home skill category along these lines. A furniture piece would have preset positions so it would be nice to take an integer value for position. It could also reuse slots designed for power (on/off vibration with power levels; on/off heat; on/off light).

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base