Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add DynamoDB to ask-cli

The Alexa Skills Kit for Node.js includes support for creating a DynomoDB table to hold attribute values across sessions. To create the table dynamically, the Lambda function is typically given DynamoDBFullAccess permissions.

This feature is to remove the table creation code from ASK SDK Node and move it to the ASK CLI as part of the deploy command. This will allow the lambda function to have reduced permissions to insert rows, read, write, and delete.

Configuration for the table name and region would be stored in '.ask/config'

The command would be:
    $ deploy --target dynamoDB

This would create the table…

27 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Routines with multiple triggers

Right now a routine is triggered by a voice command or specific time. However, some routines are to be triggered by voice and time.

For example:
    Alexa, good night. Will turn of the lights, etc.
    But you want this routine to run at certain time, say 22:00, in case you forgot or because you don’t want to say even the command, etc.
    Currently to achieve this you would have to recreate the entire skill by hand, as were is no copy function either, but this time change the trigger. This is extremely annoying and worsens as the actions in the…

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. API for Alexa Voice Profiles

The Alexa Voice Profiles feature released recently is a great and awesome feature to have. Can you please have API for Alexa Voice Profiles so that we can use it in our Skills to perform a certain action based on the voice of the user and also customize response per user.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to fetch analytics data from SMAPI

Right now if you're building something on top of SMAPI you're not able to understand is your flash briefing popular or not without going to the UI.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Routines running on specific echo-device

My goal would be to create a rule "Alexa, turn on the light", which does not turn on the light in all rooms, but just in the room the echo-device is in.
    To solve this, it would be great if i can create routines with multiple-triggers - not only the voice command, but also the device i am talking to.

Secondly the commands should not be unique, so i can create more than one time the routine "turn the light on"

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  6 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Logic in routines

There should be a way of implementing logic into routines or other voice commands to behave different in certain occasions, by the end-user. Maybe through a simple drag and drop interface, ...
    For example, if I say “Alexa, turn the lights on”, depending on the time of the day the brightness and color(-temperature) very to feel more intergrated.

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Proactive Notification template for new content (podcast, blog post, sermon, talk, seminar) available from skill

Need to be able to notify users that new content has just been made available. Might fit into the Media Content template, but instead of notifying about upcoming content, this would be a notification that the content has just posted and is now available. This Notification would be helpful for listeners of blogs and podcasts and seminars and sermons, etc.

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add support for GIF and Video as background for Display Interface and Templates

Developers should be able to use GIFs and Videos for the background of their Display Interfaces and Templates including for Echo Spot and Echo Show.

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Session timeout - tell me earlier

If my session has timed out, please let me know sooner rather than later. Right now, I'm able to keep adding intents, utterances, slot types, etc. but as soon as I click "Save Model" , I lose those changes because I have to refresh/log back in.

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to add Skill instruction in routines

When building routines, would be good to have an option to add a skill instruction and choose to run it as part of a routine.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Locally control ZigBee devices connected to my Echo Plus Hub

All my home automation devices use the Z-Wave radio protocol (sockets, lights, shutters, sirens, etc ...) and only one uses the ZigBee protocol: the Philips Hue lamp purchased with my Echo Plus.

I also have other connected objects (Netatmo weather, Netatmo security, Foscam camera, GreenIQ, Harmony Elite) each with their own communication mode.
    Mostly all these devices have a set of APIs and, thus, I can manage all these objects from my home automation box Fibaro.

ALL EXCEPT my Philips Hue bulb which is managed ONLY FROM my Echo Plus.

So here's the improvement I'm asking for: be able to…

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow hiding sensitive information in Alexa App History

Allow hiding sensitive information such as PIN codes in the Alexa App history. Capital One is doing this in their skill. Please enable other developers to do this.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to Mirror Alexa Screen on connected devices

It will be great if we get the capability to mirror / extend / cast the content (video and/or Text) shown on an Alexa Spot or Show screen onto a connected (bigger) screen.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  6 comments  ·  Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Persist more than 24kb of data between intents in a session

I'm getting intent failures with no corresponding error messages in logs (using alexa-skills-kit-sdk-for-nodejs and Lambda).

In troubleshooting, it looks like I may be exceeding the max allowed size of the JSON Response object. I see from the docs that the total size of your response cannot exceed 24 kilobytes.

I'm using session attributes to store data I need, and in some circumstances that data is larger than 24kb. The same documentation as referenced above says: When returning your response, you can include data you need to persist during the session in the sessionAttributes property. The attributes you provide are then…

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add multi-language compatibility in the same speechOutput phrase

When developing a skill in non-english language (e.g. Spanish), many times our skill needs to speak back to the user with a name or an english native word that doesn't have a local translation or that you want the skill to pronounce correctly in English.

Case 1: Names

"Hola, el nombre del autor es Miles Peter Andrews"

I'd really love if my skill would not butcher the name of that author like it does right now when trying to say that in Spanish mode.

Case 2: Teaching English Skills

"Hoy vamos a aprender voz pasiva. Repite conmigo: The lunch was…

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Text To Speech (TTS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow the connecting word "und" in German invocation names

If a brand has the connecting word "und" in its name I cannot create a skill with this connection word in the invocation names. This is very disappointing and annoying when you learn about this restriction in the certification process and did not notice it before.

I guess the connection word "und" or "and" in Englisch languages is quite common for brand names. So it will be a big improvement to allow it in the invocation name.

As a background information: I just got a reply from the support that suggested to demand this feature here.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Remove/Delete Suppressed skills in Developer Account

Currently, Suppressed or inactive skills remain in developer accounts and create Clutter.

Allow for Developers to manage and maintain their developer accounts for organization and clarity.

Additionally a suppressed skill in a developer account still shows as "LIVE" which is in accurate this should be adjusted immediately.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Have a command to restart the Echo device(s).

Every so often, Echo devices take longer to respond, or generally start performing sub-optimally. This is typically resolved by restarting the unit. It seems I have to do this about once a month or so. Obviously, performing a power cycle can be done physically by pulling the plug, but having a command to tell Alexa to restart the device would be much more desirable, especially if a user can create a routine to restart all devices, or schedule a reboot every so often.

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Connect To Bluetooth Device In Routine

It would be great if we could connect to a bluetooth device as part of the routine. I.E Connect to bluetooth speaker in another room as part of the "good morning" routune.

• Alexa Good Morning

• Flash Breifing

• Connect to BlueTooth Speaker in bathroom

• Play BBC Radio 1 (will then play through the bluetooth speaker)

20 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  sstearl responded

Hello,

Thank you for submitting an Alexa Skills Feature Request. To keep the site purpose-driven and actionable, we only surface Alexa skills and Alexa developer feature requests at this time. Your request has been received and routed to the appropriate internal team for consideration. You can review our guidelines for how to post an effective feature request here: http://alexa.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1823500

Thank you!

20. Skill sorting in the Developer Console (by recently modified or name)

Please add the ability to sort Skills in the new Developer Console by name or by modification date. The old Developer Console sorted by modification date which allowed developers of many Skills to keep better track of their recent changes.

19 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Alexa Developer Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base