Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. API for Alexa Voice Profiles

The Alexa Voice Profiles feature released recently is a great and awesome feature to have. Can you please have API for Alexa Voice Profiles so that we can use it in our Skills to perform a certain action based on the voice of the user and also customize response per user.

20 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reminders/Timers/Alarms EVERYWHERE

Due to having multiple Dots/Spots...I would like to have the choice to set my Reminders, Timers, and Alarms "EVERYWHERE" like we can do with music. For example, if I have a timer set with the Kitchen dot and I am in another part of the house, I would hear the timer go off on all other dots. That way I never miss an alarm, reminder or timer. I love my Alexa products. Thank you for all of the skills you provide.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Reminders / Timers / Alarms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Locally control ZigBee devices connected to my Echo Plus Hub

All my home automation devices use the Z-Wave radio protocol (sockets, lights, shutters, sirens, etc ...) and only one uses the ZigBee protocol: the Philips Hue lamp purchased with my Echo Plus.

I also have other connected objects (Netatmo weather, Netatmo security, Foscam camera, GreenIQ, Harmony Elite) each with their own communication mode.
    Mostly all these devices have a set of APIs and, thus, I can manage all these objects from my home automation box Fibaro.

ALL EXCEPT my Philips Hue bulb which is managed ONLY FROM my Echo Plus.

So here's the improvement I'm asking for: be able to…

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add multi-language compatibility in the same speechOutput phrase

When developing a skill in non-english language (e.g. Spanish), many times our skill needs to speak back to the user with a name or an english native word that doesn't have a local translation or that you want the skill to pronounce correctly in English.

Case 1: Names

"Hola, el nombre del autor es Miles Peter Andrews"

I'd really love if my skill would not butcher the name of that author like it does right now when trying to say that in Spanish mode.

Case 2: Teaching English Skills

"Hoy vamos a aprender voz pasiva. Repite conmigo: The lunch was…

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Text To Speech (TTS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow the connecting word "und" in German invocation names

If a brand has the connecting word "und" in its name I cannot create a skill with this connection word in the invocation names. This is very disappointing and annoying when you learn about this restriction in the certification process and did not notice it before.

I guess the connection word "und" or "and" in Englisch languages is quite common for brand names. So it will be a big improvement to allow it in the invocation name.

As a background information: I just got a reply from the support that suggested to demand this feature here.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Skill sorting in the Developer Console (by recently modified or name)

Please add the ability to sort Skills in the new Developer Console by name or by modification date. The old Developer Console sorted by modification date which allowed developers of many Skills to keep better track of their recent changes.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Alexa Developer Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Access the web browser in my Echo Show skill?

I would like to start a bookmarked video or web application by voice in my skill.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Retrieve the PowerState info through the voice

Currently, on Smart Home Skills it is not possible to retrieve the PowerState info through the voice; the only information I noticed that can be retrieved seems to be the status for smart locks and the temperature/setpoint for thermostats...
    The power state probably represents one of the most used interfaces for smart devices, and its status retrieval would be very useful for the user: in my opinion it's very limiting to interact by using the voice with a device without knowing if it is powered on or off.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow developers to respond to reviews for their Alexa skills

Reviews are one of the major ways people will decide to use your skills. It is also where developers get a lot of feedback or questions regarding their skills. Whilst you can respond to these reviews on the amazon website, it is not visible within the Alexa App for others to see.

Please allow developers to be able to respond to reviews within the Alexa app. It will provide an easy way to answer any questions and will allow new potential users to see responses by the developer that might otherwise deter them from trying the skill.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to add Skill instruction in routines

When building routines, would be good to have an option to add a skill instruction and choose to run it as part of a routine.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Guest Mode

Say I've got an Alexa device in my guest room. It would be great if there was a kind of "guest mode" which I could use to apply certain (customizable) restrictions to features like:

* Skill invocation
    * Smart Home
    * Playing music
    * Shopping​​

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add support for GIF and Video as background for Display Interface and Templates

Developers should be able to use GIFs and Videos for the background of their Display Interfaces and Templates including for Echo Spot and Echo Show.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. remove the oauth requirement for SMAPI

You can't use the API outside of a website with the current model. Ex: would like to run Lambda function to update a skill model and then submit for cert. You can't authenticate to use the API in this context.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks a lot for submitting this request. Your request has been received.

14. Restart Alexa voice after tapping the Echo Show screen

When a Skill is running on an Echo Show device with a longer text, I want to tap on it to scroll down. When I do this, the Alexa voice stops and the Skill is closed after around 8 to 10 seconds. I also get send to the intro screen.

I would suggest a solution to just pause Alexas voice on the first tap and start it again on the second tap. This will be a much higher user experience.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks a lot for posting this request. Your request has been received.

15. Proactive Notification template for new content (podcast, blog post, sermon, talk, seminar) available from skill

Need to be able to notify users that new content has just been made available. Might fit into the Media Content template, but instead of notifying about upcoming content, this would be a notification that the content has just posted and is now available. This Notification would be helpful for listeners of blogs and podcasts and seminars and sermons, etc.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Persist more than 24kb of data between intents in a session

I'm getting intent failures with no corresponding error messages in logs (using alexa-skills-kit-sdk-for-nodejs and Lambda).

In troubleshooting, it looks like I may be exceeding the max allowed size of the JSON Response object. I see from the docs that the total size of your response cannot exceed 24 kilobytes.

I'm using session attributes to store data I need, and in some circumstances that data is larger than 24kb. The same documentation as referenced above says: When returning your response, you can include data you need to persist during the session in the sessionAttributes property. The attributes you provide are then…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Need Alexa to provide a USERID back to skill.

Once a Voice Profile is completed, a Skill should know WHO initiated the skill and give that data back to the skill so reports can now dilineate WHO initiated the skill...

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add Social Media account linking in the Alexa App for all skills to use

Allow users to link their social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc) in the Alexa App itself. Then allow skills to query which accounts are linked and request permission to use those links, without requiring each skill to perform account linking separately (and perhaps not even exposing the account details to the skill, for greater privacy!).

This would allow a skill to request permission to post to Facebook, for example, to share their new high score. The skill would request this permission at the time of the interaction, and the approval would be delegated to Amazon's built-in handling (to make…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Permissions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to Mirror Alexa Screen on connected devices

It will be great if we get the capability to mirror / extend / cast the content (video and/or Text) shown on an Alexa Spot or Show screen onto a connected (bigger) screen.

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bad debugging

When I get the "There was a problem with the request3d skill's response" reply it would be 1000% more helpful if you would at least display what the response was even if you cannot tell me what was wrong with the response

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base