Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow song metadata to be dynamically updated when playing continuous stream

The audio player interface allows playing from a streaming service - e.g. a radio station
    This is a continuous stream that could run for many hours - but the skill is only given the opportunity to provide song information at the start.
    It could respond to user requests - such as "What song is this?" (which is OK) but, primarily for devices with screens, it would be useful for the skill to be able to provide title/subtitle/graphics as the songs change within the continuous stream.

This could be done by having the Skill start the audio stream with a duration…

28 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make Alexa check for intents *inside* the skill before searching for a native/keyword function

It's increasingly common and frustrating to have Alexa ignore intents provided by the skill and instead pivot to a native function / keyword function.

For example, in a cooking skill I've included various intents for calling up the list of recipes offered by the skill. But as soon as Alexa hears the word "recipe", she quits the skill and says, "Sure. I can search by dish name and ingredients. What would you like?"

Alexa obviously did not check my list of intents, because if she did she would've read the list of recipes in my skill to the user.

The…

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Send raw query with request

Currently all skills must run through Amazon’s Natural Language Understanding and provide a language model to Alexa. While this is helpful for getting started, many more advanced features for Language Processing and response building benefit heavily from having the user’s speech accessible to perform more complex operations like sentiment analysis, conversation reconstruction or custom natural language processing through models on other services. This allows developers to deliver a richer experience to users through the additional processing it makes possible.
    For my use case in specifically it would be acceptable to have an option in the console to disable the language…

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks for the clarification and suggestion! We’ll route this to the appropriate internal team for review.

4. alexa.amazon.com media controls for Amazon device

When using Alexa device to play, for example Spotify, the media controls (pause/play/next/volume) appear on the alexa.amazon.com web site. This happens with a small number of Skills (e.g. Spotify, Amazon Music and TuneIn).
    How about opening this up to all media-playing skills?

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Room awareness enhancement: add popular device types such as Fan, Air Conditioner, Set-top-box and let users change device type

Room awareness enhancement: add popular device types such as Fan, Air Conditioner, Set-top-box and let users change device type to their favorite. Now Alexa app allows changing device type between Light and Switch for some smart plug devices. But it would be great if for any device, users can define it as light, fan, air conditioner or set-top-box... and the room awareness feature will help simplify voice command. Users just can say: turn on the air conditioner, turn on the fan...
    This device-type-changing feature will be very powerful when an infrared/RF universal remote control like Broadlink is connected to alexa.…

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  8 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable developer access to the Show/Spot/Look Camera

Enable developer access to the Show/Spot/Look camera for both taking a picture or capturing video - bonus: easy integration with AWS Rekognition in ASK would be ideal.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add location awareness setting to Alexa

Currently for visitors, they have to know specific location names in order to use Alexa functionlaity correctly. e.g. simply saying "turn off lights/music" would be too ambiguous, or would result in all lights/music in the house turning off.

Add location awareness to Alexa so that, for instance when saying "turn off lights" or "play music on Sonos", Alexa can be configured to only apply the command to devices that are located the room in which that particular Alexa unit is actually located.

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add DynamoDB to ask-cli

The Alexa Skills Kit for Node.js includes support for creating a DynomoDB table to hold attribute values across sessions. To create the table dynamically, the Lambda function is typically given DynamoDBFullAccess permissions.

This feature is to remove the table creation code from ASK SDK Node and move it to the ASK CLI as part of the deploy command. This will allow the lambda function to have reduced permissions to insert rows, read, write, and delete.

Configuration for the table name and region would be stored in '.ask/config'

The command would be:
    $ deploy --target dynamoDB

This would create the table…

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add S3 to ask-cli

A public S3 bucket is used to host skill icons, audio files, images, and videos for Alexa skills. This feature adds a new deploy target to the ASK CLI.

Configuration for the bucket name and region would be stored in '.ask/config'
    $ deploy --target s3

The would sync all files and folders in a known local folder to the bucket at: https://s3.amazonaws.com/my-bucket/

The first time this is done, the bucket will be created and a CORS configuration applied.

Calling 'ask deploy' will also sync local folders and files to S3. Because the skill icon can be hosted in the S3…

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to fetch analytics data from SMAPI

Right now if you're building something on top of SMAPI you're not able to understand is your flash briefing popular or not without going to the UI.

25 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Written commands in routines

Add ability to add a written command to a routine that would act as if the user spoke a voice command.

E.g.
    Routine scheduled at 7:00 AM:
    - turn on Light
    - tell you something new
    (New): - perform “Alexa, what is the weather in Boston?”
    (New): - perform “Alexa, open Headspace”
    (New): - perform “Alexa, connect bluetooth”

This would enable skills in routines while leveraging the existing abilities of the Echo, just by allowing written commands to be interpreted as voice commands on a schedule. This should be fairly simple to implement with what it is already is capable…

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Developer SDK for Automatic Scrolling and Highlighted Text (Display Interface)

On Echo Spot or Echo Show, when there are multiple cards or items in a list, for example, Alexa keeps on going while the card stays at number one. When the user tries to slide, Alexa stops speaking.

Developers should be able to make the cards automatically move and be highlighted just like they are in the AllRecipes skill.

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Trigger other routines in a routine

I would like to be able to chain routines. One beneficial use of this is to create a "base" routine which performs some actions, and which would be the first step in other routines.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Volume leveling

Users frequently need to increase or decrease volume across the different news sources in a Flash News briefing. It would be wonderful if Echo had a volume leveling similar to some TVs that can level the volume between commmercials and regular programming.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Flash Briefing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. When will be able russian language?

When will be able russian language?

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  International/regions/languages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Session timeout - tell me earlier

If my session has timed out, please let me know sooner rather than later. Right now, I'm able to keep adding intents, utterances, slot types, etc. but as soon as I click "Save Model" , I lose those changes because I have to refresh/log back in.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable users to name routines that they create.

Currently, a routine created in the Alexa app is identified only by the time that the event is occur. It would help to be able to name the routine so that the user can tell what the routine does.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow users to invoke skill intents in routine

Recently, the ability to launch 3rd party skills from routines was added. The implementation, however, was minimal. All the user can do is launch the skill. They cannot launch a specific intent.

To unleash the potential of 3rd party skills in routines, users should be able to specify skill intents in the routine: "Tell skill x to y"

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to copy a routine

I have some routines which I would like to use again, but with small changes. So, I should be able to copy/clone an existing routine, to make the process easier.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow hiding sensitive information in Alexa App History

Allow hiding sensitive information such as PIN codes in the Alexa App history. Capital One is doing this in their skill. Please enable other developers to do this.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base