Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Temperature Routine Trigger

It would be great if you could trigger a routine based on outdoor temperature since Alexa is already able to fetch local outdoor weather information.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow creating triggers based on thermostat current temperature

That, and combining triggers would make automating the home a breeze:
    If (temp > 75) and (weather_temp < 73): turn on window fan.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Location trigger for routines

I would like to be able to trigger a routine by actions like "leaving home" and "arriving home" which would be triggered by the Alexa mobile app based on my location.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to add routines to alexa programmatically.

I am currently trying to add a workaround to send voice commands to my TV set top box via their api. I need to add an alexa routing for each channel which means lots of routines being added. Some form of upload for my alexa account in which I can add routines with YAML or JSON or something like that would be ideal.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Turning on/off display automatically

Now it's only possible to turn display off (black) when saying an Alexa command. I'm looking for a routine to make the display turn off and awake automatically. Why? I use Alexa as support for my mother which is suffering from dementia. She uses Alexa commands but she sometimes forgets that she can say "Alexa, turn off", so that she pulls the plug in order to get the display turn black...or she says "Alexa, go sleeping" but would forget to wake up Alexa in the morning with the effect that all the reminders would not work.

Besides that I would…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Launch a routine from a skill

Just as it is important to be able to launch a skill from a routine (this is priority #1), it is also important to be able to make an API call to get a list of routines available under a given account, and then launch one of them from within a skill. One particular use case here relates to the issue of being in-skill for an extended interaction, and the ability to control smart home devices. If routines are available within a skill, it would be an amazing shortcut - wouldn't have to use the smart home API to develop…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Really need to dramatically increase the utility of my amazing Dots to allow invoking skills from Routines.

Add ability to invoke skills from within Routines. Badly needed to correct this deficiency.

Love my Dots. Will love them more when you fix this! 😄

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow routines to play music to be played on a speaker group

I would like all my speakers to play the radio when the alarm is dismissed. However, right now you can set up only one device in the routine - it cannot be a speaker group. Please add speaker groups as one of the possible devices.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add more than one statement as alternative voice command in the same Alexa Routine

It will be better for the user, to add more than one statement as alternative voice command in the same Alexa Routine instead of creating separately.

For example:

A user creates a routine named "I'm home". The tasks under this routine will be executed when the user says to Alexa "Alexa, I'm home".

However, the user may also say

"Alexa, I'm back" or
    "Alexa, I return home" or
    "Alexa, I enter in sweet home" or
    "Alexa, I enter home" or
    "Alexa, I'm back to my room" or
    "Alexa, I just arrive" or
    "Alexa, I arrive home" or
    "Alexa, I reach…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Correct / Allow for any smart device as a trigger

Your routines will not allow for any of my light switches or plugs to be used as a trigger, hence switch goes on anounce something as action. This restriction makes no sence and cannot seem to be able to find any smart switches or plugs that will show in the routines device triggers screen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Insert a skill at the begin of a routine

I can only use a skill at the end of a routine? Why? I want to start with a skill inside my routine, but I get everytime a message, that this skill must be at the end of a routine.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add support of garage door devices in routines

Many users of our smart garage controller device requested the ability to use garage door commands in Alexa routines to enable scenarios like:

• Ensure that all garage doors are closed at sunset
    • Control garage doors by pressing Echo button
    • Turn on and off smart lights when doors open or close
    • Open/close doors based on your location
    • Create voice aliases for various garage door commands and grouped actions

According to Alexa developer support (CASE 7219455151) this capability is not currently supported.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Have routines that vary depending on the device

I have IRC devices in two rooms, controlling a TV, Audio Device, Cable box. They both have the same model cable box.

I would like to be able to trigger different routine logic path depending on which echo device receives the command.

IE: "Alexa Start NBC" would trigger the remote code or scene for the bedroom IRC when the bedroom echo receives the command, or the living room IRC which the livingroom echo receives the command.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Using acronyms in custom routines

It is not possible to use acronyms in custom routines as the invocation needs periods and they are not allowed as they are considered special characters. For example if you write "watch c n n", Alexa understands "watch c. n. n." and won't recognize or match the phrase. Could you please find a way to allow the use of acronyms in a routine?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. all devices

As of today, most of the audio routines can only be run from one device. Any routine should be able to be run on all devices at once. For example, playing a sound on a schedule.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. using special characters in Routine name

Ability to use special characters (dots) in the routine name. Or fix voice command interpretation. I am trying to use CBC in the routine name, but Alexa always interprets it as c. b. c. I tried using that in the routine command, but I get an error saying that I cannot use special characters. Please fix this bug.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Routine conditions for weather

Allow conditions for scheduled routines. Example: Turn on Christmas Lights at sunset but only if chance of rain is zero percent.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow skills developers to invoke developing skills from routines

Currently, only published skills can be invoked from routines. This creates difficulties in skills testing because it is impossible to test how a skill will behave being invoked from a routine. It would be easier if a routine will be able to invoke a skill in published and developing mode as well.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add "Connect" Command to Routines

Add functionality to connect echo to bluetooth devices. Voice command "Connect" needs to be available for routine execution. Please consider Germany with translated command "Verbinde"

Currently the Echo is not automatically reconnecting on every Bluetooth device. The voice command is solving this but does not provide the user experience I expect. If I turn off external speaker for energy saving reasons at night, I cannot automatically play on the external device next morning as this is not connected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Monthly schedule

Allow routines to operate in longer schedules and not just days of week. For example, do something every month (e.g. discharge emergency lights to make their batteries live longer)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base