Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 88 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  13 comments  ·  Text To Speech (TTS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add multi-language compatibility in the same speechOutput phrase

When developing a skill in non-english language (e.g. Spanish), many times our skill needs to speak back to the user with a name or an english native word that doesn't have a local translation or that you want the skill to pronounce correctly in English.

Case 1: Names

"Hola, el nombre del autor es Miles Peter Andrews"

I'd really love if my skill would not butcher the name of that author like it does right now when trying to say that in Spanish mode.

Case 2: Teaching English Skills

"Hoy vamos a aprender voz pasiva. Repite conmigo: The lunch was…

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Text To Speech (TTS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make SSML test tool available outside of developer console

Right now, in the test tab for a given skill in the developer console, there's an option to provide some SSML text and hear how Alexa would convert that to speech. This utility uses no contextual information about the skill itself, and there's really no reason at all that it needs to be stuck behind a login gate, other than for the purpose of possibly thwarting abuse of said functionality.

As a developer, I would like the ability to provide this same functionality to my users on a public website I run or to my collaborators in a private tool…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Text To Speech (TTS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Remove artificial pauses between polly voices for more natural conversational dialog

I love the new Polly voice integration, except for one thing...

<speak><voice name="Kendra">Will you get your nose out of that phone? We're getting ready to cross the street. </voice><voice name="Matthew">I know, I know, but this game really--</voice><voice name="Kendra"><say-as interpret-as="interjection">Look out Look out!</say-as></voice> </speak>

Matthew's dead. Kendra tried to warn him, but she had to wait a full stop, I believe, because Alexa tried to make assumptions about my punctuation.

Conversational dialog very frequently involves interruptions mid-sentence.

Whether it be two Polly voices or Alexa's voice and one or more Polly's, developers should have as much control as possible over the…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Text To Speech (TTS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Speechcons for non-Alexa voices

Speechcons are great. Polly is great. Speechons + Polly = even better.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Adding support for French verbs in the imperative

Please improve the parsing of verbs in the imperative form (esp. for the plural/formal second-person conjugations) for the French version of the skill.

Right now, verbs like:
    Veuillez
    Continuez
    M'aidez

are being interpreted as:
    je veux
    continuer
    mayday

This is important because even though our interaction model captures these words in the infinitive, the intent is not matched until we type it in the imperative (even when it seems like it should have been a 100% match)!

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add a 'cursor' like feature in SSML tag

Allow the drill-down feature inside the <speak> tag to track the currently spoken groups of words.
    Example use case: reading news headlines with the ability to read the whole article.
    <speak>
    <meta id="1">News headline 1. Brief content...</meta>
    <meta id="2">News headline 2. Brief content...</meta>
    <meta id="...">...</meta>
    </speak>

Alexa should keep track on the current id. When a user requested to read the whole article, the intentHandler will be able to fetch this id from the handlerInput.requestEnvelope or whatever scope and use this id to fetch the article.
    The developer should map this id with the reference to the actual http address…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Have Alexa give a written briefing or instruction guide

It would be nice (and maybe it exist and I am not aware of it) If a person could type in a briefing or set of instructions and then Echo would play them back. For example, I wanted to brief a classroom on the subject of ejection seat theory of operation, I would type the theory and the way I want it presented, then Alex could read it and give the briefing. I could pause Echo with the word PAUSE or other inputs.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Emulate "Tap to Alexa" silent commands

Add the ability for a skill to execute a "silent" voice command as is currently done in "Tap to Alexa"

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Less than character causes output to fail

Not sure if this is a bug or is by design. If I have the output text of `<speak> 2 is > 3 </speak>` this works and Alexa will read 2 is greater than 3. However if I have the output text of `<speak> 2 is < 3 </speak>`, where I would expect 2 is less than 3, I get an error "The input was incompatible" and Alexa will instead respond There was a problem with the requested skills response.
    This appears to be an issue because it sees the < as the beginning of a closing tag for </speak>.…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Specify Language of response

I would like to propose a change to the speek API. It should be possible to specify the output language of the text to testing is easier. If you specify short answers like "no" (or "nein" in german) or output english domain names, the automatic test declares them as "english" or any other language which does not meet the skills requirements as everything has to be in the correct language. This is very annoying, because you have to change phrases or example invocations to include german sounding words in a domain name for example to pass the automatic test before…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base