Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have a command to restart the Echo device(s).

Every so often, Echo devices take longer to respond, or generally start performing sub-optimally. This is typically resolved by restarting the unit. It seems I have to do this about once a month or so. Obviously, performing a power cycle can be done physically by pulling the plug, but having a command to tell Alexa to restart the device would be much more desirable, especially if a user can create a routine to restart all devices, or schedule a reboot every so often.

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Slow down Alexa's speech speed - Make Alexa more accessible

I'd very much like my son (11 yrs) to be able to communicate w/Alexa.
    He's not an Eng as a mother tongue (native) speaker, as am I ;-)
    Regrettably, his command of the English lang is as a 3-4 yrs.
    I'd like that Alexa would:
    1) Speak A Lot (!) Slower?
    2) Reply A Lot (!) more accessible ("lower" English "level")?

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I want Alexa tell time in military clock

I want Alexa tell time in military clock

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show custom skill on (Echo Show / Spot) home screen

I would like to have an option to add custom information on the Echo Show or Spot home screen.

For example, i developed a Webcam Skill and i want my Echo Show/Spot to show it without asking for.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Privilege Last Used Skill in Follow Up Mode (when relevant)

In follow up mode, Alexa continues to listen for a while after the skill closed (session is ended) and detects if there's a relevant follow up request for the user. This is designed to relieve the user from having to say, "Alexa....."

It's logical to assume that if the user makes a request in follow-up mode that can be handled by the previous skill (e.g., they ask for another stock price fact after having just used 'my great stock price skill', they would expect that skill to return the response.

This is not how it works now. Even the the…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable Alexa of initiating aconversation

The idea is to enable Alexa of initiating a conversation, rather than just responding to inquiries. Some applications, such as using Alexa to interact with an autistic child, require that Alexa starts the conversation in some cases. Giving Alexa this ability may open the door for new and out of the box solutions.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Developer Support Contact Us - Add ticket status, message history & make cases/tickets closed to general public

Developer Support Contact Us link that shows the message history and current status of opened tickets.

Right now the only options are to post in the Alexa Skills Forum or submit a contact us ticket here.

https://developer.amazon.com/support/contact-us?caseID=XXXXXX

Creating a portal where a user can check the status of their tickets would help reduce the number of duplicate submissions, less work connecting the tickets to each other.

I'd also recommend that the public can't view the ticket's message history and status unless they are logged in with valid permissions, so skill-Id's and details about IP won't be shared to the general…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Service Status Monitors

On March 2nd there was a system-wide Alexa outage, taking down the ability to use the voice assistant, as well as the ability to use the developer console.

For many of us in the development community, this appeared at first to be an issue with our skills, so we ended up getting spun up in troubleshooting mode.

As a developer, I would like the ability to check the overall health of the Alexa components that I am dependent upon.

AWS does a great job of this exact thing, and could serve as a model: https://status.aws.amazon.com/

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Send Command to Remote Alexa Speaker Device

I receive many requests from users who would like to be able to launch a skill to a remote device. For example, a customer in their living room may want to launch Rain Sounds in their child's bedroom by saying something like:

Customer: "Alexa, send a command to the kids' bedroom"
    Alexa: "O.K. What command?"
    Customer: "Open Rain Sounds"
    [success chime]
    [LaunchRequest is sent to the Rain Sounds skill from the "kids' bedroom" device]

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Windows Computer to act as an Alexa Gadget

Looking for a native way to send commands to my Windows PC so I can control my PC via Echo Dot. I asked the question on forum initially: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/198845/my-windows-computer-to-act-as-alexa-gadget.html

The first use case for the annoying issue would be to mute PC music (speakers) when Alexa wakes up...this way I can command her (else she hears other audio and doesn't understand).

Other nice feature would be to turn on/off my monitors, control volume, start programs,...

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Have multiple invocation name for a single skill

Have multiple invocation name for a single skill

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. If you call your Alexa design language APL (Alexa Presentation Language), it will be very confusing.

If you call your Alexa design language APL (Alexa Presentation Language), it will be very confusing. APL is A Programming Language, a popular array oriented language implemented by IBM, Dyalog, and many others. It has been around since the early 1960s. Look up APL programming language on the web and you'll see. Can I suggest AVL (Alexa Voice Language)?

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Intent and Interface: AMAZON.ExtendedHoldIntent & Audio Recorder Interface

Creation of an "AMAZON.ExtendedHoldIntent" type intent.

To the user, the device clearly indicates to be in a waiting state by graying out or blanking the screen.
    A mauve to white to mauve triangle wave flashes on the hardware LED(s) as the indicator.
    "(wake work +), I'm back / okay / continue etc." re-triggers the previous speech directive and prompt etc.
    AWS modifies the Lambda’s context.
    The Alexa Skill triggers the lambda with previous attributes and is not a new session.
    Amazon decides how best to handle the Lambda compute use time increase, or which maximums are allowable.

Creation of a…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Integrate local testing in ask-cli

Its very annoying, that you can not test your skill without deploying it. Especially because you have to change the lambda endpoint when updating your skill because otherwise your live lambda function will be overwritten.

It would be great to be able to test locally like 'ask-simulate' without deploying.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. allow Alexa to initiate conversation

At times, request processing takes more than it is allowed by Alexa timeout. I want to be able to wake Alexa up and give user feedback

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Plug/Switch parameter

Hello, I would dearly love to be able to ask Alexa to turn on a plug/switch with an optional parameter indicating how long to keep power on. Ex: alexa turn on S1 for 5 minutes.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. IR blaster support on echo dot and alexa skills.

IR-blaster addon for echo dot with support from alexa skills and routines.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Alexa for Business - "Assignable default skill" and "invoke by Echo button"

Lets let Alexa for Business users assign a single skill which can be invoked via Echo button.

These use cases are:

* Retail for product display information
    * Museum Exhibits
    * Information Kiosks
    * Logistical scenarios where the Alexa device cannot be in physical contact with the end user.
    * Especially critical for high noise environments such as where many people are already speaking ie, inside a visitor center location.

The device id already is distinguished inside the setup of AFB and skills can selectively supply information *as appropriate

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Detect if Alexa was interrupted

It would be great if you could detect if Alexa was interrupted or not.

An example:

Alexa: I found three messages. Message one: [Message one title]. Do you want more information?
    User: Yes.
    Alexa: [Message one content] (much). Message two: [Message two title|. Do you want more information?

It could be that the user interrupts Alexa when she says the message one content because he notices that he knows the message already. Then he would say "Alexa, next".

When Alexa was finshed and the user says "next", Alexa should give message three.
    When Alexa was interrupted, she should give message…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Get IP from the user

Can we have built-in slot for IP address for v4 and v6? E.g. AMAZON.IP4 and AMAZON.IP6? Thanks!

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base