Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Room awareness enhancement: add popular device types such as Fan, Air Conditioner, Set-top-box and let users change device type

Room awareness enhancement: add popular device types such as Fan, Air Conditioner, Set-top-box and let users change device type to their favorite. Now Alexa app allows changing device type between Light and Switch for some smart plug devices. But it would be great if for any device, users can define it as light, fan, air conditioner or set-top-box... and the room awareness feature will help simplify voice command. Users just can say: turn on the air conditioner, turn on the fan...
    This device-type-changing feature will be very powerful when an infrared/RF universal remote control like Broadlink is connected to alexa.…

26 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  8 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow hiding sensitive information in Alexa App History

Allow hiding sensitive information such as PIN codes in the Alexa App history. Capital One is doing this in their skill. Please enable other developers to do this.

21 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow developers to respond to reviews for their Alexa skills

Reviews are one of the major ways people will decide to use your skills. It is also where developers get a lot of feedback or questions regarding their skills. Whilst you can respond to these reviews on the amazon website, it is not visible within the Alexa App for others to see.

Please allow developers to be able to respond to reviews within the Alexa app. It will provide an easy way to answer any questions and will allow new potential users to see responses by the developer that might otherwise deter them from trying the skill.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to add Skill instruction in routines

When building routines, would be good to have an option to add a skill instruction and choose to run it as part of a routine.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Stop music from the app

I want to be able to stop music (or a skill) from the Alexa App.
    Example use case:
    - Baby is sleeping, fell asleep to music on the Echo, I don't want to have to open the door and wake the baby up to stop the Echo
    - I play music from the Echo upstairs and leave it playing, and I don't want to have to go upstairs to turn it off

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow skills to change volume on device

Enable a skill to adjust the volume

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Setting up routines and reminders through an API

Allow development of custom app with feature compatibility with Alexa Companion App. This can be done through exposing functionality like setting up reminders, routines, address book, calling and messaging through either avs-SDK or expose server APIs.

This will be particularly useful in Alexa for Business settings.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Take a picture with Alexa Echo Show

Hi!

I would like to know if there's any possibility to take a picture with the Alexa Echo Show with my skill. Basically I want to make a facial validation and show some content depending on the user :)

I'm currently using NodeJS for this purpose.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Be able to group routines by room.

Because routines are a way to control multiple things at once, they are used pretty frequently. When too many routines are created, the list gets disorganized and a little chaotic. Why not have the ability to group your routines by the rooms they control?

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add option to disable skill timeout while developing

Provide an option to disable skill timeout while developing Alexa apps. This would allow code to be debugged from end to end without receiving "The requested skill took too long to respond". It is not currently possible to step through code and review the output in the simulator without sending multiple requests.

It would be incredibly valuable to allow the timeout to be optional while a skill is being developed.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. let skills send text notifications to the alexa app for users who have opted in

Similar to the mobile app store - let skills send updates on the alexa app to users who have enabled the skill and agreed to receive notifications from that skill. Would help so much with feature updates and retention and imo is not very intrusive. users can always opt out.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. create and control configurable subgroups for selective device control

Create configurable sub groups within groups to allow users to control a set of devices based on type to better manage large numbers of devices.

This improves user experience for managing devices in groups (rooms) and groups within rooms. Currently Alexa organises switches and lights separately but you cannot ask alexa to turn off only lights in a room as part of that subgroup

I cannot ask alexa to turn off 'lounge room lights' without it turning off the switches in the same room/group.

If we can create and submit commands to devices as part of sub groups, we can…

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Re-Use/Cascading a base state for duplicated events

With many intents that share baseline handling intents (help,cancel,etc.) it would be nice to be able to define all these at a top level, and have specialized states cascade down. e.g. Define NewSession state with all the default handlers. In a new, specialized state, SpecialState, you only define those intents that are specific to that state, and any non defined events cascade down to NewSession state.

This would allow more simplified code, as well as the ability to better maintain consistency through out experience.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks a lot for posting this request. Your request has been received

14. When Alexa app will be officially available in Switzerland?

When Alexa will be officially available in switzerland?

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable opening of browser bookmarks on Echo Show by voice

Being able to launch a bookmark on the Echo Show browsers by voice would bring a whole new functionality to voice interactions on the Echo Show device.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Retrieve Echo Device Name in LaunchRequest in addition to DeviceID

My live skill has customers who have multiple Alexa devices and I need to provide them a UI to tie a device with a particular task.

The problem is in LaunchRequest I get a device ID like this. amzn1.ask.device.AHKJQG7VUA6HX4FMMCRQYRFTTXTZACQAJVH3KRR5MBLNC64UQ7UMWH3FKSYAXMICNCWARKPUAPBOYXFMDZLXYQE5WJL4GMZUJX6S4JBXOE7ZCSKBH3T47C7UZ2W4Q3XPROSWKGANQHSPNRX5GQ5IIUH3VKTQ

If I show this in a dropdown to the customer to choose from, their brains will explode. Can you not pass us the friendly name of the device like "Ben's bedroom" or "Alice's living"

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Language (Skill Language vs Device Language)

There are three places where we set the Language.

1) When the developer builds an Alexa Skill.
    2) The Device settings.
    3) Skill Distribution Option - Where would you like this skill to be available? * In all countries and regions where Amazon distributes skills?

Problem: "I developed my skills in English (US) then my Alexa Echo Dot --> language --> English (US). Things are working fine." My Skill got Certified. Now I see there is English (IN). If my change my Alexa Echo Dot --> language --> English (IN). I am not able to Play my Skill. I am…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. QR Codes for Alexa Skills

Would QR codes work with Alexa Skills?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base