Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring Multi-Room support to AudioPlayer API streaming

Alexa Multi Room streaming does not appear to be available for third party skills that leverage the AudioPlayer API.

Feature request is to extend support for Multi Room to the AudioPlayer interface. This could be implemented by adding a custom slot type for the multi room location and then adding an optional parameter to the Play() command to allow the destination room group to be specified.

This has 37 likes and 19 comments as of Mar 2018 on this URL but doesn't show up on this feature forum - https://forums.developer.amazon.com/idea/101848/bring-multi-room-support-to-audioplayer-api-stream.html - so posting again.

177 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  64 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remove requirement for Invocation name when an Audio Streaming skill is playing

Problem:

When an audio streaming skill is actively streaming/playing, users of the skill have to re-open the skill in order to issue additional commands. This creates a very awkward user experience, for example:

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play This American Life"

<This American Life starts playing>

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play the oldest episode"

<oldest episode starts playing>

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to fast forward 3 minutes"

<episode fast forwards>

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to <etc>"

--

Solution 1:

Ideally this interaction would go like this:

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play This American Life"

<This American Life starts playing>

"AnyPod, play the…

100 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  6 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Flag to PlayVideo() that tells the Video Player to Return to the Skill when Video Ends

Currently when a video play is initiated by a Video Skill, the video play takes full control of the session and the user has to manually initiate a return to the Skill. PlayVideo() should have a flag that tells the Alexa video player to return immediately to the Skill when video playback ends or is stopped by the user.

33 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  7 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add queue for Echo Show VideoApp

The VideoApp for the Echo Show only supports to play one video. Once this video is started the current skill looses control. Please add a queue to the VideoApp like the AudioPlayer already supports.

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks a lot for posting this request. Your request has been received

5. Allow song metadata to be dynamically updated when playing continuous stream

The audio player interface allows playing from a streaming service - e.g. a radio station
    This is a continuous stream that could run for many hours - but the skill is only given the opportunity to provide song information at the start.
    It could respond to user requests - such as "What song is this?" (which is OK) but, primarily for devices with screens, it would be useful for the skill to be able to provide title/subtitle/graphics as the songs change within the continuous stream.

This could be done by having the Skill start the audio stream with a duration…

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. alexa.amazon.com media controls for Amazon device

When using Alexa device to play, for example Spotify, the media controls (pause/play/next/volume) appear on the alexa.amazon.com web site. This happens with a small number of Skills (e.g. Spotify, Amazon Music and TuneIn).
    How about opening this up to all media-playing skills?

26 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow STOP to be issued to AudioPlayer in addition to PAUSE

"STOP" and "PAUSE" have two very distinct meanings:

"STOP": cause (an action, process, or event) to come to an end.
    "PAUSE": a temporary stop in action or speech.
    Different words, different meanings.

Unfortunately, AudioPlayer confuses the two, and even the documentation warns that

"when your skill is not in an active session but is playing audio, or was the skill most recently playing audio, utterances such as 'stop' send your skill an AMAZON.PauseIntent instead of an AMAZON.StopIntent."

This creates a poor user experience, and it doesn't take long to find at least 30 questions, requests relating to this.

For example,…

13 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. AudioPlayer crossfade between 2 audio files / streams.

It would be useful to be able to crossfade between 2 audio tracks or streams.

If Track A was playing, then the track finished (or user says, 'Alexa, next') and Track B was enqueued, an option should be available in the response to fade between the 2 tracks.

If Stream A is playing, and a user says 'Alexa, next' (or any other audio control), an option should be in the response to fade between Stream A and B.

This would enable greater quality soundscapes and immersion. It would be an excellent benefit to innovative experiences in voice formats.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Function of volume leveling

I have created skill introduces steps to cook meals with voice.
    I have a problem. A gap between guidance in my skill and alexa’s voice are so different.

But I can’t change volume of guidance, because they’re used in so many other platforms and they’re affected too.

Could you provide a function to adjust volume of media in video player and audio player?

That would be nice.Thanks!

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support percentage for volume

Currently, I can't say "Alexa, set volume to 50%". I get the response "Sorry, you can only set the volume between 1 & 10". This is small change, but I think much more intuitive for users.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Video Skill function playVideo() should accept a position in milliseconds to start video at

Hi, while playVideo() works fine for video playback on an Amazon Echo Show, there's no way to start at a certain position. Optionally accepting a position in milliseconds would solve this. Use cases for this are resuming playback or jumping to a certain known position of a video e.g. the start of the next topic in the news. Thanks, Jan

PS: I didn't find any seek functionality to emulate this and having a seekVideo() function with a position in milliseconds might be an additional or alternative way to implement this.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Treat AudioPlayer metadata on Fire TV Cube like the Echo Show

Currently the Fire TV Cube renders the AudioPlayer metadata foreground image as a background image like the Echo Spot, despite a different background image being present in the response payload. Since the Fire TV Cube is connected to large high-resolution displays, using the background image in the same fashion as the Echo Show does would be a much better user experience.

For an example, open "Rain Sounds" by Invoked Apps LLC on Fire TV Cube and Echo Show.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support authorization when getting audio files to be played using the AudioPlayer

Currently audio files must be hosted on an Internet-accessible HTTPS endpoint on port 443 and authorization isn't supported, so a developer can't use an endpoint that requires authorization.
    This limits the choices of media and forces customers to make audio files publicly accessible, while a customer should have the option to make his audio files available only through the Alexa skill/Mobile app he owns.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow adding cards after video playback

Our idea is to make a more involved video playback storyline. After we played one video, e.g. Non playing character tells you a story, you can then decide with a card, or specific or completely custom overlay, how the story should proceed (pick the shovel, pick the axe) we would show the next video. We understand this might not be the one off search users usually make, but would enable us to tell more engaging stories.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add H.265/HEVC support

H.265 is a fairly common newer video standard

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Remove the limitation for maximum 5 audio elements in SSML response

Please remove this limitation. I have so many cool ideas that has been limited by this feature.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Send PlaybackNearlyFinished for short tracks, or allow responses to other

I have been asked to post bug reports here, so:

There is a long-term issue (at least since May 2018) with PlaybackNearlyFinished not firing for shorter tracks.

It has affected many developers, for example here: https://github.com/alexa/skill-sample-nodejs-audio-player/issues/104
    and here
    https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/178909/about-alexa-audio-error-on-skills.html

From my testing, sometimes it triggers on tracks around 15 seconds, sometimes it doesn't even trigger on tracks 30 seconds long.

The problem is that the only AudioPlayerEvent you can respond to with an ENQUEUE event is PlaybackNearlyFinished.

If this "short track bug" cannot be fixed, then at least if developers were allowed to ENQUEUE in response to other events (eg:…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bluetooth / whole house - Everywhere

Just a thought I have two one echo plus and one echo in my house and I like listening to music throughout the entire house I like the Bluetooth but the Bluetooth will not play on the everywhere (whole house) is there a way my fine developers can add that feature ? you guys to the best thank you or girls

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add option to display hint with Audio Player Metadata

I have been using the new metadata field with the Audio Player in order to show title's and an image. However, there is no way to put my own hint on the screen. The Echo Show shows hints but they are hints not related to my skill. It would be nice to override that and display my own hints.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow to resume an audio without any invocation name while a skill audio, which was being played using play directive, is being paused?

Allow to resume an audio without any invocation name while a skill audio, which was being played using play directive, is being paused?

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base