Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide function for escaping text in APL templates

According to the docs, APL Text items support some HTML-like markup, with a custom escape method for special characters:

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/alexa-presentation-language/apl-text.html

There should be a function in the SDKs that we can use for escaping a plain text string, to display it as-is.

Also, the chart under "Markup characters in text must be replaced with character entity references" is a little confusing. E.g. what are we supposed to replace &, <, and > with?

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support running ask commands in npm scripts

To avoid having ask-cli installed globally which is not good when working with other developers together who might have version mismatches, it would be nice when you could trigger ask commands with npm scripts.

For example:
    package.json:
    "scripts": {
    "validate": "ask validate"
    }

Currently this throws errors like described here:
    https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/211596/run-ask-commands-as-npm-script.html?childToView=212326#comment-212326

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Invoke LaunchRequest by an external api

via some script we hit an api for a specific user that is in front of line and Alexa responds with example speech.

"Hi Jhon, welcome to Demo clinic"

or
    "Hi Dave, welcome to Demo clinic"

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. ASK SDK Python Lambda Layer availability in Europe

I'd like to have a Lambda Layer for the ASK SDK Python available also in Europe region. Today it is available only in US.
    See also here for reference: https://github.com/alexa/alexa-cookbook/blob/master/resources/lambda-layers/ask-sdk-lambda-layers.md

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Skill Connections needs a re-schedule feature

Skill Connections is a great idea but needs an additional feature. My use case is my skill called "When is my Flight" is used at the departing airport and tells the user when his flight will land and I would like to give him the chance of booking an Uber when it lands. So at his departing airport he uses my skill and says book me an uber to take me home. At that point my service will book the uber at the landing time plus a delta of say 20 mins for him/her to get from aircraft to outside.…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. ask-cli for Smart Home skills

Can we have a command line version of the Test console? Right now, ask-cli only works with custom skills and not smart home skills.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. lambda + environment

It would be useful to permit the passing of Lambda Environment Variables as part of ask cli (and IDE plugins) configuration - OR - To bind the ask cli features as part of AWS SAM.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. JSON debarfer

The JSON editor should have undo back to the last "no big red x" version in a single click. That way after I spend a bunch of time trying to figure out what it is unhappy about I can start again from a known good place with a single click.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Typescript support to ask-cli

Actually we can create and deploy javascript alexa skills, it would be great if we can do with typescript too.

I think it's not so hard to add typescript support (transpile before deploy)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Undo not working as expected

Add the ability to download the code in one easy zip file, or provide some basic version control, so this https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/202617/alexa-hosted-skills-undo-commands.html doesn't happen

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Utterance Profiler for Speech

Enable the utterance profiler for speech. My experiences using the profiler is that it gets typed utterances correct. However the problems occur during speech. I would like to see the various intent considerations.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Correspond to Chinese

I want you to develop Alexa so that you can understand Chinese that is said to be more than 100 million native speakers.
    I fully understand that Alexa can not sell in China. I think that it is not a good idea to remove Chinese speakers living in the world from business.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add FM and DAB etc. to the InputController

I don't know if the intention is for the Mode Controller to replace the Input Controller in due course but as it stands the input controller does not have the full set of useful inputs in the localised markets.

In the UK for example I would suggest that FM, DAB are certainly missing and arguably it would be useful to have the more branded Freesat, Freeview, Sky as likely components that are driving an input.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please can the units of measure be enhanced to include all SI Units

The SmartHome SDK RangeController accepts a unit of measure.

It would be helpful if the full SI unit catalogue could be handled (both Base and Derived: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InternationalSystemofUnits#Baseunits)

I can immediately see a need for Hertz for example

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. delete persistence record automatically when user disables a skill

In node.js if a user disables your skill, the framework should delete the persistent info record from the DynamoDB stream for the alexa skill automatically. Why leave dead data in my persistence store? The user has decided to disable the skill. It even gives you a warning that it will remove information but it's not deleting it from my dynamo db stream.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Locale information to the SmartHome API, in particular discovery

I had posted this previously but it seems to have disappeared?

With the SmartHome SDK there is a need to prevent users accessing interfaces that are not in specific regions. For example, an Australian customer accessing the US endpoint may or may not have access to the SceneController capability or the TemperatureSensor capability.

This is controlled at a level below the specific Alexa Gateway as some gateways only support some interfaces in some languages. We need a mechanism to identify which interfaces are supported.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add S3 Persistence Support to ASK SDK for Python

Currently the ASK SDK for Python supports data persistence using DynamoDB and it is recommended to use it, however, to expand some capabilities that only S3 can provide is a great alternative. the SDK for NodeJS already includes support for this officially. Not sure if this can be useful, I have implemented it and the information can be found here https://github.com/frivas/alexa-s3-persistence-python

I hope you find it useful.
    Thank you very much.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ASK-CLI YAML as option for configs instead of json

JSON is great, but YAML is way easier. Especially the configs for models can be quite long and the ability to add comments in YAML would really make it easier to read.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide an error code for smart home skill devices that need some time between each controll

I've created a smart home skill for a device that needs some time between each actuation.

I know in advance if a device is ready or not to be controlled again.

I would like to provide a nicer feedback to the user by replying to control request with an error indicating that the device need some time to execute a new command in the cases where my device cannot be controlled when the request arrives.

This command should be translated in something like:
    The device X is temporarily busy please try again later.

The ASK SDK already provide few errors…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I would like to trigger the build in phone function of Alexa in a custom Skill

I think it would be nice if i could trigger a call directly from my skill if the user need more information !

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base