Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to make API requests on the local network

Lambda function would ask echo to query the local network and echo would send the response to lambda function (like it does with the function to speak/listen).

This would allow API requests on devices which are not open on the public network. Like a TV box, to use its tv remote control's API. Or a home automation box ... etc

I live in France and my network provider (Free Telecom) provide a tv remote control's API for box TV. But it's working only on my local network. For my usage i could use a proxy on a Raspberry PI but…

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide locale property in event (Skillevent, Listevent) to allow translation

Current localization documentation states the following:

"Note that list events and skill events that are sent to your service do not include the locale property."
    https://developer.amazon.com/de/docs/custom-skills/develop-skills-in-multiple-languages.html

Request / idea:

Please add locale support to Skillevents and Listevents as well so that event based skill can be translated based on that information. Currently developers can only use a fallback language - e.g. english.

According to Alexa dev forum there is no workaround in place as well.

I would need the "locale" property in the "request" for the corresponding event type. E.g. "AlexaHouseholdListEvent.ItemsCreated".

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow visual skill developers to hold the screen open without resorting to APL "delay" commands

The only way to hold a skill open (as far as I can tell) is to use long-running APL "delay" commands. I've also heard of people playing a silent audio file to prevent closure. This is not great. Can we have a feature to explicitly hold the session open until the user closes it?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. get "your locations" from within the skill

Alexa users have the ability to store location addresses using the Alexa App, example work, school, groceries, etc. It would be great if we could get this information from within the skill itself, with user permissions of course. This would work just like retrieving the device address. We can build skills that get direction or transit information for user's favorite locations.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. The RequestInterceptor interface should provide an optional response parameter

This would make it possible to do some common parameter checking before the request gets passed on to the real handler and return a response if there is a problem that negates the need for more processing.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Additional parameter support while account linking

Kindly provide support for an additional parameter support in account linking process. I have a scenario in which I need to know the user region. For eg if a user has signed up in service at (.com) region then all the intents inside will use the endpoints with .com and if the user has account in .eu region then all the intent action endpoints go as .eu. So there should be an option to specify the region and to store that under user while making each request to the intent.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide develops the ability to enable users to call (VOIP) through Alexa

We have a number of use cases where the objective is to enable the user to speak to a live person:

• Call a restaurant to order a meal

• Call the right doctor's office

• Call the "Call Center" for a particular pharmaceutical

As the capability to use VOIP through Alexa already exists, providing it to developers through the SDK would enable us to greatly improve user experience and fulfill our use cases through voice UI alone.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Document All ASK CLI skill.json Config Options

Would like to see all possible options for the ASK CLI Config. especially for those with restricted values. e.g. possible categories, locales, various options in apis['interfaces'], etc. in skills.json

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Feature Request: Provide the Alexa Speech Recognition result in text

I want an API to get the Alexa Speech Recognition text result. For example,

user says "Alexa, what is the weather today?"
    device microphone records the sound and processes it as binary audio, then send to Alexa cloud service
    due to the accent, distance, background noise or something else, Alexa may get any of the following result as transcription text from the input binary audio stream:
    "Alexa, what the weather today?"
    "Alexa, what is the wee today?"
    "Alexa, what is the bad weather today?
    I hope this API could get the actual Alexa recognition/transcription result in text and return.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow intent forwarding without user utterance

I'd like to programmatically invoke an intent from the handler of another intent to make dialogue flow easier on the user. For example, let's say I am in the LaunchRequest handler and I query a database to see if a user has made a previous purchase through my skill. If they have, I'd like to prompt them when the skill launches, "Would you like to purchase your most recent item again?" to which they can answer "yes" or "no" and use the YesIntent and NoIntent to forward them to the proper handler (for example, "PurchaseAgainIntent" or "NewPurchaseIntent"). However, when I…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. rendering template for smartphone displays

since the last update photos within skills are finally also shown in android display. these correspond to the bodytemplate 3 for echo devices with displays. it would be nice if you could also set the bodytemplate for skills that also appear on smartphones displays. if you try to include the bodytemplates in the code the skill crashes in the alexa app.

to get it to the point. the function "card.renderer()" is automatically set to bodytemplate3. The developer should have the possibility to decide in which template format the photos should appear on the app with the function card.renderer().

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Indicate whether a reprompt has been spoken (or not).

I have an ASK v2, node.js lambda function that prompts and reprompts in the regular way with the prompt (.speak()) providing information and and eliciting the next utterance, followed by a couple of other example utterances (let's call them hints) in the reprompt, something like:

return responseBuilder

.speak('blah blah blah.  What would you like next?')

.reprompt('You might say something like When do you open? ' +
    'or How much are tickets?')
    .getResponse()

I have a set of hints and try to speak them in a way that exposes the most useful first, followed by the not-quite-so-useful next, and so on.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Echo Look Support

The Echo Look doesn't currently have any support in the Node SDK. I would like to develop an app that takes advantage of the video and picture capability of this device.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide TypeScript Examples

The SDKv2 is built with TypeScript and I'd like to see example apps also built using TypeScript.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. "Soft launch" new skill without showing up in "suggested skills" list

I'd like to "soft launch" a new skill so that it doesn't show up in the "suggested skills" list in the SkillShop, but it shall be fully live, searchable and publicly available. Besides I want to get the usual statistics like who is installing, how many organic hits per day etc.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Profanity Filter

Please provide an api for checking if a given text has any profane words violating the Amazon policy here - https://developer.amazon.com/docs/custom-skills/policy-testing-for-an-alexa-skill.html#mature

I am trying to implement one for my app and its a very iterative process working with the alexa certification team. It will help multiple developers if there is such an api.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Provide access to DynamoDB's time-to-live attribute

Useful for automating data limits and date-based cleanup. This replaces sdk-for-nodejs request #240.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Call same intent after say 30 seconds automatically

For example, I invoke the skill by saying alexa take a note and after 30 seconds alexa asks me for it then again after 1 min alexa aks me for a note. Basically use setInterval() (node.js) in a response. Make a response go forever after every 30 seconds.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. ask cli proxy

ASK CLI should work with system proxy configurations (HTTPPROXY/HTTPSPROXY)

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base