Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a AMAZON.PostalCode Slot.

Add a AMAZON.PostalCode slot.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Programmatically mute the device or programmatically check the Device's Mute status

We wanna be able to mute the device and check the Device's Mute status. This would offer more flexibilities to address some security concerns.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. unlink account from ask sdk

It would be great, If we have any functionality available to unlink account from ask sdk. If there is any security lapse, we should be able to unlink the user account from the skill using ask sdk.

This feature can be used implement security requirements like the one described in the below topic

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/171861/unlinking-an-account-after-3-incorrect-attempts.html

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Improve the documentation for the node ASK SDK v2

The documentation of the new ASK SDK for node.js (https://ask-sdk-for-nodejs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) seemed to be missing a few concepts compared to the v1.

It would be good to include more code example inside the documentation (not only the api references), for example, how to setup a PersistenceAdapter, and how to use it.

There's also very little in this documentation about state management and Display Template.

I'm sure there's other stuff that I haven't listed and that were in the previous documentation (https://github.com/alexa/alexa-skills-kit-sdk-for-nodejs/tree/v1.0.25).

Cheers, Alex

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Intent switching during LaunchRequest

Currently, if a user launches a skill without an intent, they can only then say something similar to a sample utterance to trigger an intentRequest. If, sent from backend code, there could be a transition from a launchRequest to an intentRequest, specifiying the intent name to switch to, the dialog directive could also be used straight after launching the skill without the unnatural need to say the command to trigger the intent.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Cache option for audio embedded in SSML

Whenever my skill returns SSML with embedded audio, the ASK API will fetch that audio file from my server and send it to the user's Alexa.

This generates a lot of traffic on my server and might result in high latency.

It would be great if there is a caching mechanism for these audio files that prevents the ASK API to fetch the audio file on every single request.

Here are two caching strategies that might make sense:

1. Add an Audio Upload API to the ASK API like Facebook does for Messenger Bots: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/messenger-platform/reference/attachment-upload-api

2. Automatically cache fetched audio files for…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow two-way video for doorbell/intercom using RTCSessionController API

The RTCSessionController API within Smart Home allows two-way audio, and one-way video from doorbell/camera back to the Echo Show or Spot. For doorbells/intercoms with a view screen, add the option for the Alexa user to enable return video back to the doorbell.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow multiple friendly names for a single endpoint id in smart home skill

A device can be called by multiple names such as a Study light can also be a painting light if it is located beside painting. This feature is available for custom skill , so why not extend it to smart home skill.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Integrate a code generator into Alexa Developer Portal

My proposal is to integrate a skill boilerplate code generator into Alexa Developer Portal

The code generator could be something like like this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/webappvui/skillcode/v2/index.html#

A ONE-CLICK skill lambda code init. could save bunch of hours of coding saved!

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Increase the limit on number of intents in a skill

Increase the limit on number of intents. Currently there is a limit of 250 intents. If the skill has a reach capabilities the number of intents can easily increase this number.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make the dance between ask cli and web gui better.

Working between the ask cli and the web gui is fraught with danger. I lost lots of "web gui" Intent work, because I used "ask deploy" which overwrote the model. So I have to be very careful to call "download model" first, check to make sure it has the changes... THEN I can upload my new lambda code without overwritting. Very risky business. (:

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow Alarm feature in custom Alexa skill

Please allow us to create custom alarm skill so that we can create really cool features with that.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Hear the reprompt in Alexa Simulator

I cannot hear the reprompt in the Alexa simulator

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add a callback / polling system that exceeds 8 seconds timeout, so the service can think longer (e.g. in a chess game)

When it comes to chess against a good cpu player, often it can take more than 8 seconds to respond for a cpu player.

Thats why it is currently not possible to develop similar games.

It would be cool to have Alexa poll for more than 8 seconds until the game can actually respond properly.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide Echo Device Model (e.g., Echo Dot or Echo Show) in request envelope JSON

It would be helpful if we could know the model of the device a user has when interacting with an Alexa skill. Right now, the only information we receive is a very long string for a virtual deviceId and a set of supported interfaces for the device, like this:

"device": {

"deviceId": "amzn1.ask.device.AE...X2",

"supportedInterfaces": {}

}

Could we have the device model as well? This would be very helpful for analytics and other purposes where supported interfaces is not sufficient to identify a specific device model:

"device": {

"deviceId": "amzn1.ask.device.AE...X2",

"deviceModel": "Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation)",
    "supportedInterfaces": {}

}

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Smart Home skill in other Regions

Please make the new Smart home SDK types available in other Regions. We are waiting quite some months now, and the RangeController for example is still not available in other regions than US.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow to open browser with specific data on Echo Show

Would be cool, if you were allowed to show/open a specific website on echo show devices (maybe just with session closing). So at the end of my conversation I could show a website (which is a bit similar to showing something with APL, but allows much more features).

Support for custom cookies, which are set by opening the page, might also be quite cool.

Maybe this would need a popup first, which ask, if the skill is allowed to open the following page now, because otherwise this could lead to abuse.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Include Considered Intents in Fallback response

Include considered utterances generated as as a part of the fallback intent. For my skill, I noticed the utterance profiler often has the correct interpretation. Perhaps the back-end with its additional context, can proper interpret the intent.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Alexa Skills Kit Java SDK for Smart Home

Currently the Alexa Skills Kit SDK only supports custom skills , not smart home skills ,when I develop my smart home skill ,I have to handle the inputstream and outputstream which are not friendly to developers , hope the Alexa Skills Kit Java SDK supports smart home skills as custom skills

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. New slot type AMAZON.DATE_PAST

Feature: new slot AMAZON.DATAPAST and AMAZON.TIMEPAST that only delivers dates and times in the past. If the user clearly asks for dates and times in the future ("next monday") the slot should deliver an error.

Reason: We have skills with slots AMAZON.DATE, which only refer to dates in the past. Currently AMAZON.DATE defaults to dates in the future and it is very hard to get dates in the past from that slot. We work around that in our code but that is error prone and annoying.

There are also many skills out there, where dates only refer to…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base