Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. money type

we need a type for money. so if i say, "i want to pay 4 dollars and 12 cents" the slot returns 4.12. currently i'm using two slots and a lot of utterances which is painful.

61 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks a lot for submitting this request. Your request has been received.

2. Allow Flash Briefings to use SSML

Right now Flash Briefings won't parse SSML in their preamble, error message, or text output. This means content written for a custom skill (for example) cannot be used for Flash Briefings, and any output that could be massaged to sound correct will instead come out sounding wrong.

50 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  7 comments  ·  Flash Briefing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Adding a new (custom) Routine should enable to stop radio Spotify Music

If I create a new Routine in the Amazon Alexa app on IOS Device I can currently only add the following actions:
    Smart Home, Traffic, Wether, News.
    I would like to have a action which stops Alexa from playing any kind of music or other sound.
    Background: You create the Routine "Goodby" which should turn off all HUE lights and it should stop the Radio(tuneIn on Alexa, or Spotify music). The feature of stopping Music is not available in the app. If I say "Alexa, Stop" the music is stopped. Why is that not available in the app?

48 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  13 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Remove the requirement for a leading phrase with AMAZON.SearchQuery

We would like to use this, but can't because the rules are too restrictive.If a user is asked about what they want info about, they should not be forced to say "tell me about Point Defiance Zoo". They should be able to say "Point Defiance Zoo" with no leading phrase. Instead of forcing us to use a leading or trailing phrase, please allow the use of just {query} (without 'search for...' or other text around it as in the example below:
    {

"name": "SearchIntent",

"samples": [

"search for {Query}",

"find out {Query}",

"search for {Query} near me"

],

"slots": [

46 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Dutch Language

Please add Dutch language support for Alexa and make it available in The Netherlands.

You can contact me if there is a beta program or if I can help with voice recognition.

38 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  7 comments  ·  International/regions/languages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. add a phone call feature in customized skill

customized skills for business can allow customers to directly contact phone numbers within the skill.

38 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  8 comments  ·  Alexa Calling and Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. have independent volume settings for timers and alarms

Reminders, timers and alarms should allow for individual melodies and volume levels.
    A timer should be louder to be heard in noisy environments. A wake up alarm should be set much lower as sleep environments are quiet.
    This especially applies to wake up alarms coupled with radio stations or other music.

35 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Reminders / Timers / Alarms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, Peter! We’ll get this routed over to the appropriate internal team for review.

8. Provide an endpoint to test the voice model

Currently, there is no way to accurately do automated testing of how user audio resolves (in terms of intents and slots) for a given skill.

At present, this testing is more-or-less done manually. There are several use cases where automation would be vitally important. Given:

-When testing a large skill, it is extremely cumbersome to manually test a wide array of sample utterances for every change we make to the voice model. This discourages iterative design.
    -The overall Alexa voice model is constantly shifting. This is a good thing, but often this results in changes to how our skills launch…

34 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Customize wake word

Allow user to customize wake word of their own choosing or at least expand choices greatly.

33 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Flag to PlayVideo() that tells the Video Player to Return to the Skill when Video Ends

Currently when a video play is initiated by a Video Skill, the video play takes full control of the session and the user has to manually initiate a return to the Skill. PlayVideo() should have a flag that tells the Alexa video player to return immediately to the Skill when video playback ends or is stopped by the user.

33 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  7 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow Changing Endpoints for a Live Skill

Allow the Endpoints to be changed for a Live skill WITHOUT submitting for re-certification.

In the new Developer Console for a Live (already published) skill, you can see the endpoint ARNs in textboxes which would indicate that they are editable, but the Save Endpoints button is disabled.

The following scenarios outline why the endpoints should be editable. The timing and reasons for changing the endpoints shows that they should be done without triggering a re-certification.

Scenario 1
    The skill's lambda function is hosted in a region that goes down. With a quick change of the ARNs, your skill will be…

33 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa Developer Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Get the probability for a slot

Get the probability a slot was selected.

This would help an experienced developer implement a dialog to confirm with the user or to execute indent directly.

33 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks a lot for submitting this request. Your request has been received.

13. We need more proactive notification event scheme types.

We need more proactive notification event scheme types. The current set is very limited. We want to inform a user of utility company disruption (eg a gas leak or water leak) in their postcode area.

Why not have a generic event that just takes a message string??

31 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Skill Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Phonic Recognition

This feature request comes off the back of https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/200304/phonic-recognition.html

The most recognised and adopted method of teaching kids and grownups to learn english is by using phonics.

Could Alexa also recognise phonics as well as words? This would allow a whole new type of interactive skill that could teach children to read by getting them to practice phonics.

Reference from the UK government for teaching kids to read with sounds:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190599/Letters_and_Sounds_-_DFES-00281-2007.pdf

30 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Event, Location, Time based skills that can be triggered autonomously

e.g. I like to hear from alexa if there is a extreme weather warning in the area. This could happen if my API constantly calling a weather api of my area and if any extreme weather is forecasted, the message is broadcasted automatically.

There could be number of different examples and I believe user can get benefit to be proactive in such cases. For that reason, I was hoping to have a time, location, event based skills that can be triggered autonomously by Lambda or some other scheduling service.

30 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add 1 - 59 Second delay timer in routines

At the moment the minimum delay timer is 1 minute it would be really helpful to have 1 - 59 Second delay timer in routines too

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add queue for Echo Show VideoApp

The VideoApp for the Echo Show only supports to play one video. Once this video is started the current skill looses control. Please add a queue to the VideoApp like the AudioPlayer already supports.

29 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks a lot for posting this request. Your request has been received

18. Allow song metadata to be dynamically updated when playing continuous stream

The audio player interface allows playing from a streaming service - e.g. a radio station
    This is a continuous stream that could run for many hours - but the skill is only given the opportunity to provide song information at the start.
    It could respond to user requests - such as "What song is this?" (which is OK) but, primarily for devices with screens, it would be useful for the skill to be able to provide title/subtitle/graphics as the songs change within the continuous stream.

This could be done by having the Skill start the audio stream with a duration…

28 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make Alexa check for intents *inside* the skill before searching for a native/keyword function

It's increasingly common and frustrating to have Alexa ignore intents provided by the skill and instead pivot to a native function / keyword function.

For example, in a cooking skill I've included various intents for calling up the list of recipes offered by the skill. But as soon as Alexa hears the word "recipe", she quits the skill and says, "Sure. I can search by dish name and ingredients. What would you like?"

Alexa obviously did not check my list of intents, because if she did she would've read the list of recipes in my skill to the user.

The…

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Send raw query with request

Currently all skills must run through Amazon’s Natural Language Understanding and provide a language model to Alexa. While this is helpful for getting started, many more advanced features for Language Processing and response building benefit heavily from having the user’s speech accessible to perform more complex operations like sentiment analysis, conversation reconstruction or custom natural language processing through models on other services. This allows developers to deliver a richer experience to users through the additional processing it makes possible.
    For my use case in specifically it would be acceptable to have an option in the console to disable the language…

27 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the clarification and suggestion! We’ll route this to the appropriate internal team for review.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base