Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change "Permissions" nav menu button to "Your Users"

Change "Permissions" nav menu button to "Your Users"

In the Alexa Console, the "Permissions" button in the left menu makes me think I can provide permissions (e.g. beta testers and administrator access) to the particular Alexa Skill, not user's access to addresses and read/write lists. Might make sense to change the wording to "Your Users" that way the submenu can contain all info pertain to your uses using your Skill and "Permissions" is uses to give certain permissions access to the app on a tester, administrative, business user or marketing permissions to the Skill

I'm assuming this feed back forum…

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Permissions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Alexa App Builder Bug

BUG:
    When using LITERAL types the editor creates invalid json. If I add a slot of type LITERAL to an intent it automatically adds an invalid object to the types list:

"types": [

{
    "name": "LITERAL",
    "values": []
    }
    ]

The model validator complains that the values list can not be empty for a type, but there are not values for a LITERAL type. If I remove the object completely it fixes the schema.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Sound Library Requests

Here are a few requests for the sound library:

-Rocketry sounds
    -Horsedrawn carriage/wagon (on wood & cobblestone)
    -Gameshow sounds (Buzzer, success "ding ding ding", cash register/"cha-ching"
    -The Inception "braaam" (https://longreads.com/2016/12/08/braaam-inception-hollywood-soundtracks/)

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  ASK Sound Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Service Status Monitors

On March 2nd there was a system-wide Alexa outage, taking down the ability to use the voice assistant, as well as the ability to use the developer console.

For many of us in the development community, this appeared at first to be an issue with our skills, so we ended up getting spun up in troubleshooting mode.

As a developer, I would like the ability to check the overall health of the Alexa components that I am dependent upon.

AWS does a great job of this exact thing, and could serve as a model: https://status.aws.amazon.com/

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow to self-remove my email from other's dev portal accounts

Right now the only way to be removed as a member from other's people dev portal accounts is that an admin remove you, but I should be able to self-remove my account in some part of the https://developer.amazon.com website.

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Alexa Developer Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks for the suggestion, Octavio! We’ll get this routed over to the appropriate internal team for review.

6. Sample Utterance Issue

Unfortunately Alexa didn't react anymore to my sample utterances. I had to delete all of them and add them again manually

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for pointing this out! We’ll get this routed over to the appropriate internal team for review.

7. Fuzzy match intent handler

Request: a fuzzy match intent handler for spoken utterances, e.g.:

if contains("sometext")...

This would allow for a more conversational exchange between the user and Alexa. For example, if the user utterance includes the phrase "not feeling well", the skill could give a sympathetic reply without having to explicitly match every possible permutation of a sentence containing that phrase via intents.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, April! We’ll get this routed over to the appropriate internal team for review.

8. have independent volume settings for timers and alarms

Reminders, timers and alarms should allow for individual melodies and volume levels.
    A timer should be louder to be heard in noisy environments. A wake up alarm should be set much lower as sleep environments are quiet.
    This especially applies to wake up alarms coupled with radio stations or other music.

51 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Reminders / Timers / Alarms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, Peter! We’ll get this routed over to the appropriate internal team for review.

9. Provide "Copy to (locale)" option in the developer console

Right now the process of adding a new language to an existing skill in the developer console is tedious, especially when the data for those languages is exactly identical.

For example, right now, the process for manually copying things on the Publishing Information tab (Launch tab on the new console) alone involves tabbing back and forth 12 different times between the two languages to copy the text from the six different fields. For an English language skill being released worldwide, that process has to be done 4 times (and that's only going to grow).

Making things worse, in the new…

15 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Alexa Developer Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting this suggestion Eric. We’ll get this routed over to the appropriate internal team for review.

10. UI Fixes

The "Save Model" and "Build Model" SHOULD allow you to click it without losing your intent position on the page. Same goes for the "Interaction Model" side menus.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Developer Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Metrics Reset on Update Skill

Why do the metrics reset when you publish a new version?

So I had all this great data on users and plays of my flash briefing skill, and I made a minor change to the icons, and published that, and now all the metrics reset to 0.

This is super disappointing as it was motivating seeIng my users and plays grow. If they are reset to zero each update, I won’t update a skill because all that matric data is lost.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Skill Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Condense everything

The new console wastes way too much screen real-estate. Everything is too big!

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa Developer Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Printing Skill code within JSON editor

Which I'm in the JSON editor (or any part of ASK) can I print the code associated with my skill?
    Thanks,
    Frank M

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Developer Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Include supported interface approval status in certification process

Currently, it is difficult to determine between a non-display device, and a skill that simply isn't approved for display interface.

Per Paul Cutsinger: "For speed, certification will publish your skill for voice only then come back and enable the display once that's tested. So, spot will send this.event.context.System.device.supportedInterfaces.Display once the skill has been certified for that device."

Would be good to be able to check the status of this process somewhere.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Certification  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide an endpoint to test the voice model

Currently, there is no way to accurately do automated testing of how user audio resolves (in terms of intents and slots) for a given skill.

At present, this testing is more-or-less done manually. There are several use cases where automation would be vitally important. Given:

-When testing a large skill, it is extremely cumbersome to manually test a wide array of sample utterances for every change we make to the voice model. This discourages iterative design.
    -The overall Alexa voice model is constantly shifting. This is a good thing, but often this results in changes to how our skills launch…

43 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Remove requirement for Invocation name when an Audio Streaming skill is playing

Problem:

When an audio streaming skill is actively streaming/playing, users of the skill have to re-open the skill in order to issue additional commands. This creates a very awkward user experience, for example:

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play This American Life"

<This American Life starts playing>

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play the oldest episode"

<oldest episode starts playing>

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to fast forward 3 minutes"

<episode fast forwards>

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to <etc>"

--

Solution 1:

Ideally this interaction would go like this:

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play This American Life"

<This American Life starts playing>

"AnyPod, play the…

136 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  7 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Send raw query with request

Currently all skills must run through Amazon’s Natural Language Understanding and provide a language model to Alexa. While this is helpful for getting started, many more advanced features for Language Processing and response building benefit heavily from having the user’s speech accessible to perform more complex operations like sentiment analysis, conversation reconstruction or custom natural language processing through models on other services. This allows developers to deliver a richer experience to users through the additional processing it makes possible.
    For my use case in specifically it would be acceptable to have an option in the console to disable the language…

37 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the clarification and suggestion! We’ll route this to the appropriate internal team for review.

18. Feedback on the new console

Why have you hidden the Skill ID away onto the dashboard. When I'm updating to a new Lambda version and pasting in the endpoints, I then need to skill to set at lambda, which means I need to go to the dashboard page. Please make it available like it was on the old console.

Also, please please please, lets have some simple debugging logs and testing of execution for the Lambda.

Just a little test button next to the endpoint where it fires off something (discovery?) (SmartHome Skill) just to make sure it can execute the Lambda, between the permissions…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bad debugging

When I get the "There was a problem with the request3d skill's response" reply it would be 1000% more helpful if you would at least display what the response was even if you cannot tell me what was wrong with the response

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Missing UI flow in the new beta Alexa Console

If you select 'Measure' for a live skill from the skill list, then go to the Launch tab, you can't edit anything unless you go back to the Measure tab, switch to Development stage and go to Launch again. A stage selection drop-down in the Launch tab would be more intuitive.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base