Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. launch Alexa skills with GUI click

If I build an APL skill with rich visuals and multimodal click support, I want to be able to have it feature visually on Fire devices for customers to click to launch. This extra discovery would incentivise development of rich visuals.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Alexa visual indicator

I have a set of 5 Lifx tiles. It would be amazing to see Alexa speak and acknowledge when she is listening via visual methods versus auditory only.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. APL - Don't stop skill when a user interacts with components

Presenting an APL document that includes components such as a ScrollView, for example, invites the user to interact with that component. Unfortunately, as soon as the user touches the screen, the skill stops. If Alexa was speaking, she abruptly stops speaking. If the user does nothing more, the skill comes to an end and the user is kicked out. This is a horrible experience.

Add the ability, for developers to present either certain components that won't interrupt the skill, or a full document that won't react to touch.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. screenshot

Alexa, take a screenshot.

Would be helpful in documentation and marketing/promotion of APL-driven skills to be able to take a screenshot directly off the device.

Saying something like "Alexa, take a screenshot" could take the screenshot and save it to Amazon Photos, just as "take a selfie" does with the front-facing camera.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Turn on the power to the TV connected to a FireTV Cube from a skill

When a user invokes a Skill on a Fire TV Cube, provide a way for our fulfillment webhook to determine that the device is a Fire TV Cube. We know we can determine that the skill was invoked on a device that has a screen, but we need a way to determine that it is not an Echo Show or Spot, but instead a TV connected to a FireTV Cube.

Then, provide a way to determine whether or not the TV power is on or off. If it is off, provide a way for us to tell the Cube to…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. APL Sequence row formatting (alternate or custom)

Outputting a sequence for touch choices is nice - but it would be great if there were some visual styling controls to help differentiate the rows (other than being able to use a single color and spacing).

For instance, being able to specify two colors, and have every other row be different - or being able to submit an array of colors that are used in sequence, which would be used cyclically (IOW, if the number of choices in a sequence were greater than the number of colors, it would use all of the colors, then start over from the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow multi-modal pages to refresh in-place with different data

I want to create a skill that shows an image with some text a la the "Today's Cheese" sample app, but I want this skill to be able to periodically update the images and text based on a server-side push.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. APL Support for smartphones

Hey,

I don't understand why APL is not available on smartphones. Smartphones are able to display simple cards but not to show APL-rendered screens. I understand the difficulty of different screen sizes here but it would be really cool if you could implment APL in your Alexa-App (especially for testing).

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Web fonts for displays

The release of APL is great, but we are stuck to using the Amazon Ember font, which is now the only thing that makes multimodal designs seen too Amazon-ish for some requirements.

It would be great it we could define custom typeface in the APL JSON and be able to use this font in containers and text fields in APL.

Cheers!

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow voice conversation to continue after a user touches the screen

On devices with screens when you use the List template we observe the following: Once a list is displayed, it puts the Echo in a state where you can’t continue voice commands. For example, if a user invokes an intent that brings up a menu of options on the screen that is displayed with the List template and the user touches the screen to scroll, the voice interaction with the user comes to an end. They have to say “Alexa” first to return to the voice conversation. This should not be the case - please remove the need to say…

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow skills to display large images in home cards

Currently, there is no good way to display graphs, charts, or maps in a home card. The current icon size is simply too small to make it readable.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Provide HTML like styling to the card

It would be a good if we can style our card in CSS way. Default search implementation like Yelp is doing it internally. We should be allowed that too. We should be allowed to design our image and content the way we want. we should be freely use margin, padding, color, font and other style too.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Support display directives in progressive responses

Currently, progressive responses only support voice/audio directives. Our skill can often take 5 - 8 seconds to complete its API calls to load up data required by a user's particular request. We would like to send down a display directive in a progressive response, allowing us to show a "splash screen" on Echo Show/Spot/Fire Cube (?) while the user waits for her request to be fulfilled.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Developer SDK for Automatic Scrolling and Highlighted Text (Display Interface)

On Echo Spot or Echo Show, when there are multiple cards or items in a list, for example, Alexa keeps on going while the card stays at number one. When the user tries to slide, Alexa stops speaking.

Developers should be able to make the cards automatically move and be highlighted just like they are in the AllRecipes skill.

24 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add support for GIF and Video as background for Display Interface and Templates

Developers should be able to use GIFs and Videos for the background of their Display Interfaces and Templates including for Echo Spot and Echo Show.

17 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. DialogDirectives and DisplayTemplate in the same "turn"

I would like to use Dialog Directives and Rendering via a Display Template in the same "turn". Right now, we are only able to use diasplat cards ("CofirmIntentWithCard"...)

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Echo Show Keyboard access for custom skill

We're building an Alexa for Business skill and we'd like the user to authenticate certain actions via OTP or confirm their email address. Access to the keyboard for these functions would be ideal. Many thanks!

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Rich Content Cards for Users

When I need to present something to my user that requires a more complex interaction with the user. In my usecase it's playlist generation where voice interaction would not be simple and I would need to direct user to a web environment. I can pass a card with a URL that is easy for the user to type in but it would be better if the URL was clickable.

102 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Restart Alexa voice after tapping the Echo Show screen

When a Skill is running on an Echo Show device with a longer text, I want to tap on it to scroll down. When I do this, the Alexa voice stops and the Skill is closed after around 8 to 10 seconds. I also get send to the intro screen.

I would suggest a solution to just pause Alexas voice on the first tap and start it again on the second tap. This will be a much higher user experience.

16 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks a lot for posting this request. Your request has been received.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base