Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Guard to detect Dog barking

I love the fact that the Guard feature will alert me to breaking glass or a smoke detector going off. But it would be even better if it could also let me know if my dog starts barking so that I know to check in to see what is going on.

10 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Skill Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Temperature Routine Trigger

It would be great if you could trigger a routine based on outdoor temperature since Alexa is already able to fetch local outdoor weather information.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a playSpeed attribute for the Video component

In the APL Video component the play speed cannot currently be increased or decreased. Adding a speed attribute would be useful for some use cases: e.g. games with higher difficulty could increase the play speed for a video-presented task.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow for much longer audio responses in APL for Audio

The current limit is 4 minutes. Our app plays backing tracks for guitarists and this is way too short. Please increase to at least 20 mins.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create widget to access alexa lists

Would like to widget on home screen to access lists

11 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Server-Based Load Balancing Support

Currently, there's no good built-in AWS solution for load balancing requests for a server-based app. Requests are routed through NLP, and as a result, routing based on user cookies is not supported. The Application Load Balancer provided by amazon uses cookies to identify users by default, and therefore cannot route sticky sessions.

In order to support load balancing via ALB, requests need to either maintain session cookies, or add another routing rule around parsing request json for the amazon user Id.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  AWS/Alexa Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Have more flexibility for alarms

It is currently not possible to schedule alarms that repeat only on specific days (i.e. Monday and Thursday only) without creating separate alarm entries for each day. It would be nice to have the ability to create an alarm, and then choose which days of the week specifically you want the alarm to repeat.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Reminders / Timers / Alarms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Access to User Response Audio Clip

I need access to the user response audio clip in order to map intonations, pitch, speed, etc. Please prioritize enriching the ASK SDK with a method to retrieve the audio response clip and ability to save the audio clip to a json, mp3, or wav file for processing.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. alexa read kindle books speed control

It would be great to give Alexa the ability to read Kindle books at variable speeds. I usually listen to books and podcasts at 1.25x normal speed. I can't do this with the Alexa app controls.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Use dynamic entities with slot elicitation in order to refine choice

I'd like to set a dynamic entity with specific answers, and then prompt for the slot with that type. This isn't possible because of this error:"No other directives are allowed to be specified with a Dialog directive. The following Directives were returned: [Dialog.UpdateDynamicEntities]"

The use case is refining the customer's choice where lots of the choices have similar values. The dynamic entity is being used to distinguish between them.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. APL functions to retrieve properties of elements

APL functions to retrieve properties of elements would be very helpful.

For example:

Document.getScrollTop();

Element.getOffsetTop('id')
    Element.getOffsetLeft('id')
    Element.getWidth('id')
    Element.getHeight('id')

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Pick specific days for routines

I'd like to be able to pick specific days to run routines, not only ONE day of the week, weekdays or weekends.
    Currently if I want to run a routine on -say- Tuesday and Thursday I have to create the routine twice and select Tuesday and Thursday routine days separately.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. If then else, variables, and subroutines

When a routine is triggered (e.g. motion detected) i would like to be able to run one of multiple possible routines (sub routines) depending on variable i could set in others.

For example i run a routine when i go to bed that turns off my lights and plays soft music for an hour. I would like to be able to also set the variable $inbed = true and then in my motion detected routine have if $inbed then table light on else all lights on and then my wake up/alarm routine can set $in_bed = false as…

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Threshold Notifications

"Threshold" notification capability
    Scrape any web source for information (temperature, price of a commodity, etc). Notify when item reaches target value. e.g. Notify me when Silver reaches $40 Cad., when temperature in my area reaches 15 C, etc.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Voice command for Alexa "remember" my skills already activated

Currently, the only way I can "remember" the skills I have already activated, is by finding the menu item “Skills” on the left and tap it to open a page of skills that you can enable on Alexa. ...

Which is extremely laborious.

My recommendation is to create a command "Alexa what are my skills enabled"

And Alexa lists each one, saying their activation name.

All the best.
    R. Murer

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa App Lists  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to create sub-accounts within a developer account

For large organizations I would like the ability as a developer to create sub- developer accounts within my developer account so that I can give each of my business units/divisions/affiliates a developer account to work in without them having access to ALL dev and production skills in the account. They should only be able to see the skills they are working on, whereas anybody at the top level account can see everything. This is especially important when a developer account receives a particular agreement/protection (in this case our developer account is protected by a HIPAA Business Associate Agreement (BAA) so…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Developer Console  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow visual skill developers to hold the screen open without resorting to APL "delay" commands

The only way to hold a skill open (as far as I can tell) is to use long-running APL "delay" commands. I've also heard of people playing a silent audio file to prevent closure. This is not great. Can we have a feature to explicitly hold the session open until the user closes it?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add support of garage door devices in routines

Many users of our smart garage controller device requested the ability to use garage door commands in Alexa routines to enable scenarios like:

• Ensure that all garage doors are closed at sunset

• Control garage doors by pressing Echo button

• Turn on and off smart lights when doors open or close

• Open/close doors based on your location

• Create voice aliases for various garage door commands and grouped actions

According to Alexa developer support (CASE 7219455151) this capability is not currently supported.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Provision to capture full text of a question asked by a user.

Provision to allow a skill to capture the full text of a question asked by a user.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Written commands in routines

Add ability to add a written command to a routine that would act as if the user spoke a voice command.

E.g.
    Routine scheduled at 7:00 AM:
    - turn on Light
    - tell you something new
    (New): - perform “Alexa, what is the weather in Boston?”
    (New): - perform “Alexa, open Headspace”
    (New): - perform “Alexa, connect bluetooth”

This would enable skills in routines while leveraging the existing abilities of the Echo, just by allowing written commands to be interpreted as voice commands on a schedule. This should be fairly simple to implement with what it is already is capable…

87 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  7 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base