Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow users to invoke skill intents in routine

Recently, the ability to launch 3rd party skills from routines was added. The implementation, however, was minimal. All the user can do is launch the skill. They cannot launch a specific intent.

To unleash the potential of 3rd party skills in routines, users should be able to specify skill intents in the routine: "Tell skill x to y"

177 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  20 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow development skills to be used in routines.

Allow development skills to be used in routines. If we develop a skill, and haven't published it yet, but it is enable and active on our devices then we should be able to use it within a routine (obviously on our own devices).

73 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  18 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change the volume of all devices

Change the volume of all devices, so you can change the volume of all devices at the same time not only a single device. For example if you wrote a routine called “night time” you could set all devices to a lower preset volume so as not to be so loud. Alternatively in the morning you could say “morning and all devices volume could be increased to a preset volume. And so on

7 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. temperature alarm

The ability for Alexa to use outside temperature as an alarm trigger. "Alexa notify me if the outside temperature is under 72 degrees." A better implementation for Alexa's with a skill like Weather Bug would be "Alexa notify me if the outdoor temperature is [over/under] the indoor temperature." and the perfect implementation would be a standing command to notify me whenever the indoor & outdoor temps transition past each other.

6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Temperature Routine Trigger

It would be great if you could trigger a routine based on outdoor temperature since Alexa is already able to fetch local outdoor weather information.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Pick specific days for routines

I'd like to be able to pick specific days to run routines, not only ONE day of the week, weekdays or weekends.
    Currently if I want to run a routine on -say- Tuesday and Thursday I have to create the routine twice and select Tuesday and Thursday routine days separately.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. If then else, variables, and subroutines

When a routine is triggered (e.g. motion detected) i would like to be able to run one of multiple possible routines (sub routines) depending on variable i could set in others.

For example i run a routine when i go to bed that turns off my lights and plays soft music for an hour. I would like to be able to also set the variable $inbed = true and then in my motion detected routine have if $inbed then table light on else all lights on and then my wake up/alarm routine can set $in_bed = false as…

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Written commands in routines

Add ability to add a written command to a routine that would act as if the user spoke a voice command.

E.g.
    Routine scheduled at 7:00 AM:
    - turn on Light
    - tell you something new
    (New): - perform “Alexa, what is the weather in Boston?”
    (New): - perform “Alexa, open Headspace”
    (New): - perform “Alexa, connect bluetooth”

This would enable skills in routines while leveraging the existing abilities of the Echo, just by allowing written commands to be interpreted as voice commands on a schedule. This should be fairly simple to implement with what it is already is capable…

89 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  8 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add support of garage door devices in routines

Many users of our smart garage controller device requested the ability to use garage door commands in Alexa routines to enable scenarios like:

• Ensure that all garage doors are closed at sunset

• Control garage doors by pressing Echo button

• Turn on and off smart lights when doors open or close

• Open/close doors based on your location

• Create voice aliases for various garage door commands and grouped actions

According to Alexa developer support (CASE 7219455151) this capability is not currently supported.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Open Web page in routines

A routine that invokes showing a Web page on a visual device screen would be useful for lots of different applications.
    Smart home integration for ip cameras is my intended use of this feature.
    As most ip cameras are difficult or impossible to show on echo show type devices. This new feature would enable the screen to show the Web site containing the camera stream from a trigger via node red or other mqtt and smart home devices. Without any voice commands needed to be issued to the device directly.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Have routines that vary depending on the device

I have IRC devices in two rooms, controlling a TV, Audio Device, Cable box. They both have the same model cable box.

I would like to be able to trigger different routine logic path depending on which echo device receives the command.

IE: "Alexa Start NBC" would trigger the remote code or scene for the bedroom IRC when the bedroom echo receives the command, or the living room IRC which the livingroom echo receives the command.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow creating triggers based on thermostat current temperature

That, and combining triggers would make automating the home a breeze:
    If (temp > 75) and (weather_temp < 73): turn on window fan.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Be able to disable and enable routines from a routine

Be able to enable and disable routines from a voice trigger routine. For example “we’re going on holiday’ could disable routines that are not required when we are away and enable other routines that are, such as routines that make it look like we are home. Or ‘it’s summer’ could enable routines for summer that for example don’t switch on heating and switch off the winter routines that do.

8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add option to request user input and parse to other steps

When creating a routine, have an option to add a step where Alexa seeks user input (voice) so that additional information or steps can be configured. Would work well with integration of logic gates in routine builder as well, and ability to parse user input to future steps.

Ex. ‘Goodnight’ routine that turns off living room lights/tv and asks about turning on bedroom tv.

User: Alexa, I’m heading to bed.

Alexa: Do you want me to turn on the bedroom TV for you?

User: Yes

Routine runs standard commands to turn off living room lights and tv, as well as…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ability to add routines to alexa programmatically.

I am currently trying to add a workaround to send voice commands to my TV set top box via their api. I need to add an alexa routing for each channel which means lots of routines being added. Some form of upload for my alexa account in which I can add routines with YAML or JSON or something like that would be ideal.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add 1 - 59 Second delay timer in routines

At the moment the minimum delay timer is 1 minute it would be really helpful to have 1 - 59 Second delay timer in routines too

47 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  10 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow routines to play music to be played on a speaker group

I would like all my speakers to play the radio when the alarm is dismissed. However, right now you can set up only one device in the routine - it cannot be a speaker group. Please add speaker groups as one of the possible devices.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Trigger other routines in a routine

I would like to be able to chain routines. One beneficial use of this is to create a "base" routine which performs some actions, and which would be the first step in other routines.

48 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to copy a routine

I have some routines which I would like to use again, but with small changes. So, I should be able to copy/clone an existing routine, to make the process easier.

45 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Using acronyms in custom routines

It is not possible to use acronyms in custom routines as the invocation needs periods and they are not allowed as they are considered special characters. For example if you write "watch c n n", Alexa understands "watch c. n. n." and won't recognize or match the phrase. Could you please find a way to allow the use of acronyms in a routine?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base