Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

How can we improve Alexa Skill development services and tools?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make Alexa check for intents *inside* the skill before searching for a native/keyword function

It's increasingly common and frustrating to have Alexa ignore intents provided by the skill and instead pivot to a native function / keyword function.

For example, in a cooking skill I've included various intents for calling up the list of recipes offered by the skill. But as soon as Alexa hears the word "recipe", she quits the skill and says, "Sure. I can search by dish name and ingredients. What would you like?"

Alexa obviously did not check my list of intents, because if she did she would've read the list of recipes in my skill to the user.

The…

11 votes
    Sign in

Sign in with a provider below:

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Interaction Model/Intents/Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. API for custom skill / flash briefing usage statistics

Currently, it’s impossible to get any data about the flash briefings usage at all. It’s crucial to know at least number of unique listeners and number of plays during some period of time.

For the custom skills we are able to count the requests and sessions ourselves, since we host the backend for a skill, but still, there are a lot of tricky points, for example we are not able to distinguish requests from the certification team, so we count them as usual requests from Alexa users.

I think that's a super basic functionality that really breaks the experience for…

61 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  6 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to get a link to the skill in Amazon Store

Right now it’s impossible to get the link to the skill in the Skills Store. After the skill is published, you need to go to the store and search for it manually.

It would be great to have an ability to fetch this link via SMAPI. Here is an example of the link I’m talking about: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077CW6TH8/.

As I can see, the main part of this link is the product ID, so at least having a product ID in skill manifest in SMAPI would be insanely helpful.

Thanks.

63 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Treat AudioPlayer metadata on Fire TV Cube like the Echo Show

Currently the Fire TV Cube renders the AudioPlayer metadata foreground image as a background image like the Echo Spot, despite a different background image being present in the response payload. Since the Fire TV Cube is connected to large high-resolution displays, using the background image in the same fashion as the Echo Show does would be a much better user experience.

For an example, open "Rain Sounds" by Invoked Apps LLC on Fire TV Cube and Echo Show.

6 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio/Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow hiding sensitive information in Alexa App History

Allow hiding sensitive information such as PIN codes in the Alexa App history. Capital One is doing this in their skill. Please enable other developers to do this.

8 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Event-based system notifying about skill publishing status (dev, live, cert) update

Right now if I want to get a publishing status of a skill (live, dev, certification), I need to manually go to the SMAPI and ask for that. If you have 3 or 4 thousands of skills that you want to keep up to date, it’s about 5 thousands of requests to SMAPI every half an hour or even more often.

So, to reduce the number of requests and waiting time for users drastically, it’s crucial to have some kind of an event system to be notified when the skill has changed its status from dev to certification or from…

51 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Non precise error on save/build

When a build fails or save fails, the error prompt is not descriptive:

> Operation Failed
    The attempted operation has returned an unspecified error. This may be due to an expired session, or a model that exceeds 1MB in size.

Think more descriptive and precises error messages are needed, algo between every save or build I usually make several changes, it would be nice so the difference between actual json and the one from the previous successful save.

3 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bring AMAZON.FallbackIntent to other languages

The recently introduced AMAZON.FallbackIntent, which allows utterances which do not match any of the utterances associated with other intents to be picked up by a skill, is extremely useful. However, this can only be used in English (US) skills and not any any other languages, such as English (UK). This makes development harder than it should be and discourages developers from creating their skills in multiple languages.

20 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Call same intent after say 30 seconds automatically

For example, I invoke the skill by saying alexa take a note and after 30 seconds alexa asks me for it then again after 1 min alexa aks me for a note. Basically use setInterval() (node.js) in a response. Make a response go forever after every 30 seconds.

2 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make SSML test tool available outside of developer console

Right now, in the test tab for a given skill in the developer console, there's an option to provide some SSML text and hear how Alexa would convert that to speech. This utility uses no contextual information about the skill itself, and there's really no reason at all that it needs to be stuck behind a login gate, other than for the purpose of possibly thwarting abuse of said functionality.

As a developer, I would like the ability to provide this same functionality to my users on a public website I run or to my collaborators in a private tool…

2 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Text To Speech (TTS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 33 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Text To Speech (TTS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow selection of AWS regions in ASK CLI deployments

The ASK CLI automatically defaults to the US Virginia region, which is not optimal for many users outside the US.

Whilst this can be manually changed later, it seems like an obvious confirmation option to add (to honour the AWS profile defaults for example).

1 vote
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to create devices with ASK SDK

Currently I wasn't able to find an option to create a smart home device in NodeJS ASK SDK. It only allows to create event handlers. For instance Insteon skill for Alexa allows to create devices that alexa can communicate directly with (i.e. you can ask alexa to turn on light switch derectly without saying: "tell *skillname* to turn on the lights").

1 vote
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Event, Location, Time based skills that can be triggered autonomously

e.g. I like to hear from alexa if there is a extreme weather warning in the area. This could happen if my API constantly calling a weather api of my area and if any extreme weather is forecasted, the message is broadcasted automatically.

There could be number of different examples and I believe user can get benefit to be proactive in such cases. For that reason, I was hoping to have a time, location, event based skills that can be triggered autonomously by Lambda or some other scheduling service.

14 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. ask-cli exclude files during deploy to lambda

Add the ability to exclude files during lambda deploy.

$ deploy --target lambda --exclude **/*.test.js

4 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Set a reminder via my skill

It would be nice to be able to set a reminder from my own skill.

1 vote
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add support for multi languages on the same phrase.

Being a spanish speaker in US it's hard to ask Alexa to play your favorite spanish artist in Amazon Music. Things like: "Alexa, play Joaquin Sabina", are almost impossible today.

1 vote
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Calendar based skill that can be triggered autonomously

Hello,

I have a simple python app running on a server that creates few daily reminders on a google calendar [based on some logic]. Alexa is then linked to this google calendar (say via the mobile app).

* I'd like if Alexa can play a sound (custom or not) whenever a reminder on the calendar is due (or execute a specific skill).

I can invoke Alexa (voice command etc.) to tell me what is on my calendar, but this is not exactly what I want. I just want Alexa to play an alarm/sound [skill here] each time there is a…

1 vote
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Calendars  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. alexa tone of voice for kids

Do Alexa has a tone of voice? like speaking in an excited way when talking to kids. because based from my experience as a human when I talked to kids I use tones to get their attention more and level the tone to their needs. I usually get their attention 80 percent of the time when I want them to listen to me.

1 vote
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Music Skills  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. AudioPlayer crossfade between 2 audio files / streams.

It would be useful to be able to crossfade between 2 audio tracks or streams.

If Track A was playing, then the track finished (or user says, 'Alexa, next') and Track B was enqueued, an option should be available in the response to fade between the 2 tracks.

If Stream A is playing, and a user says 'Alexa, next' (or any other audio control), an option should be in the response to fade between Stream A and B.

This would enable greater quality soundscapes and immersion. It would be an excellent benefit to innovative experiences in voice formats.

1 vote
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio/Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base