Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Location trigger for routines

I would like to be able to trigger a routine by actions like "leaving home" and "arriving home" which would be triggered by the Alexa mobile app based on my location.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Really need to dramatically increase the utility of my amazing Dots to allow invoking skills from Routines.

Add ability to invoke skills from within Routines. Badly needed to correct this deficiency.

Love my Dots. Will love them more when you fix this! 😄

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Temperature Routine Trigger

It would be great if you could trigger a routine based on outdoor temperature since Alexa is already able to fetch local outdoor weather information.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow creating triggers based on thermostat current temperature

That, and combining triggers would make automating the home a breeze:
    If (temp > 75) and (weather_temp < 73): turn on window fan.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Ability to add routines to alexa programmatically.

I am currently trying to add a workaround to send voice commands to my TV set top box via their api. I need to add an alexa routing for each channel which means lots of routines being added. Some form of upload for my alexa account in which I can add routines with YAML or JSON or something like that would be ideal.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow routines to play music to be played on a speaker group

I would like all my speakers to play the radio when the alarm is dismissed. However, right now you can set up only one device in the routine - it cannot be a speaker group. Please add speaker groups as one of the possible devices.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Turning on/off display automatically

Now it's only possible to turn display off (black) when saying an Alexa command. I'm looking for a routine to make the display turn off and awake automatically. Why? I use Alexa as support for my mother which is suffering from dementia. She uses Alexa commands but she sometimes forgets that she can say "Alexa, turn off", so that she pulls the plug in order to get the display turn black...or she says "Alexa, go sleeping" but would forget to wake up Alexa in the morning with the effect that all the reminders would not work.

Besides that I would…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add support of garage door devices in routines

Many users of our smart garage controller device requested the ability to use garage door commands in Alexa routines to enable scenarios like:

• Ensure that all garage doors are closed at sunset

• Control garage doors by pressing Echo button

• Turn on and off smart lights when doors open or close

• Open/close doors based on your location

• Create voice aliases for various garage door commands and grouped actions

According to Alexa developer support (CASE 7219455151) this capability is not currently supported.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Have routines that vary depending on the device

I have IRC devices in two rooms, controlling a TV, Audio Device, Cable box. They both have the same model cable box.

I would like to be able to trigger different routine logic path depending on which echo device receives the command.

IE: "Alexa Start NBC" would trigger the remote code or scene for the bedroom IRC when the bedroom echo receives the command, or the living room IRC which the livingroom echo receives the command.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. using special characters in Routine name

Ability to use special characters (dots) in the routine name. Or fix voice command interpretation. I am trying to use CBC in the routine name, but Alexa always interprets it as c. b. c. I tried using that in the routine command, but I get an error saying that I cannot use special characters. Please fix this bug.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Routine conditions for weather

Allow conditions for scheduled routines. Example: Turn on Christmas Lights at sunset but only if chance of rain is zero percent.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. SecuityPanelController used with Routines

The SecurityPanelController (SPC) class is not supported under routines when it is a natural that it should. Many people would like to use geofencing to arm/disarm their security system but the SPC is not supported. This is really strange as we have hundreds of thousands of users and this is one of the first things they ask for when they enable our SPC skill.

Amazon technical support said I should post a feature request.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Open Web page in routines

A routine that invokes showing a Web page on a visual device screen would be useful for lots of different applications.
    Smart home integration for ip cameras is my intended use of this feature.
    As most ip cameras are difficult or impossible to show on echo show type devices. This new feature would enable the screen to show the Web site containing the camera stream from a trigger via node red or other mqtt and smart home devices. Without any voice commands needed to be issued to the device directly.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add option to request user input and parse to other steps

When creating a routine, have an option to add a step where Alexa seeks user input (voice) so that additional information or steps can be configured. Would work well with integration of logic gates in routine builder as well, and ability to parse user input to future steps.

Ex. ‘Goodnight’ routine that turns off living room lights/tv and asks about turning on bedroom tv.

User: Alexa, I’m heading to bed.

Alexa: Do you want me to turn on the bedroom TV for you?

User: Yes

Routine runs standard commands to turn off living room lights and tv, as well as…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Using acronyms in custom routines

It is not possible to use acronyms in custom routines as the invocation needs periods and they are not allowed as they are considered special characters. For example if you write "watch c n n", Alexa understands "watch c. n. n." and won't recognize or match the phrase. Could you please find a way to allow the use of acronyms in a routine?

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Alexa’s whisper for routines

Many Alexa users experience the issue of wanting Alexa to whisper on a routine, especially for use of an alarm at night or in the morning. The issue is that many of us wake up even hours before the next person in the house has to wake up, so we can’t use Alexa as the alarm because she has a habit of screaming out her words on routines when you want her to just whisper. It would be great to see the addition of “Alexa whisper” under “device settings” when creating a routine, so that anything Alexa says during the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. all devices

As of today, most of the audio routines can only be run from one device. Any routine should be able to be run on all devices at once. For example, playing a sound on a schedule.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Routines playing music triggered by a dismissed alarm should play the music only on the device which triggered the alarm.

i.e. I want to play music as soon as i wake up and dismiss my alarm. I have multiple echos in different rooms. Right now the music will always play on the same device no matter on which echo the alarm went off.

However it would be nice to specify it to the device which triggered the routine.
    Like it is already possible for voice-triggered routines where you can select to play music from "the device you speak to".

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Routine to stop a skill

Currently in alexa, I am able to add a routine that plays a sleepsounds music every night 10pm. But now the issue is I am not able to stop the skill after 10 minutes.

This feature should be added so that I can stop any routine after certain time.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. In the routine add the ability to make a preset call on Skype

It is difficult for an elder to say the whole phrase "alexa calls [name] on Skype". The routine would simplify the command with a custom phrase.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base