Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Share to alexa show

There should be a way to share a website or recipe that I find on my phone with my Alexa show in the kitchen. It seems like you are locked to what Alexa finds. My family uses different dinner delivery services and still have to prop our phones up to follow a recipe. Or a recipe my wife finds online and shares with me. This should be able to be shared to the app then uploaded to the show.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow family members from other countries to join household.

Allow family members from other countries join my household to control my smart home and Alexa. My home is based in Canada amazon.ca and his profile is in USA amazon.com. No purchasing or other features that’s country based for pricing but just home control etc.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Reply of Intent confirmation

I am developing a skills and using intent confirmation, when I reply to confirmation then it takes only 'Yes' and 'No'.
    There are no any other option to use synonyms of 'Yes' and 'No'.
    I.e. For 'Yes' -> 'exactly', 'ok','yea', 'fine' etc.
    For 'No' -> 'Sorry', 'Not' etc.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Start APL animation with response and make it non blocking for user interaction

Why the current behaviour (animation (AnimateItem) starts after the Alexa speech) should be changed:
    -As long as the animation is playing the user cannot directly interact with Alexa, only if the user use the activation word he can interact again with Alexa, this could be confusing.
    -If the animation is more like a bonus or a visualisation to the Alexa speech it should start directly with the response.
    Solutions:
    -Set the animation to start with the response and not after the Alexa speech
    -Give developers two options, "start with response" or "start after alexa speech"
    -Separate the animation from the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Be able to group routines by room.

Because routines are a way to control multiple things at once, they are used pretty frequently. When too many routines are created, the list gets disorganized and a little chaotic. Why not have the ability to group your routines by the rooms they control?

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable opening of browser bookmarks on Echo Show by voice

Being able to launch a bookmark on the Echo Show browsers by voice would bring a whole new functionality to voice interactions on the Echo Show device.

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ability to add Skill instruction in routines

When building routines, would be good to have an option to add a skill instruction and choose to run it as part of a routine.

23 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 6 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. create and control configurable subgroups for selective device control

Create configurable sub groups within groups to allow users to control a set of devices based on type to better manage large numbers of devices.

This improves user experience for managing devices in groups (rooms) and groups within rooms. Currently Alexa organises switches and lights separately but you cannot ask alexa to turn off only lights in a room as part of that subgroup

I cannot ask alexa to turn off 'lounge room lights' without it turning off the switches in the same room/group.

If we can create and submit commands to devices as part of sub groups, we can…

9 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Alexa App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow skills to change volume on device

Enable a skill to adjust the volume

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Controlling Roku with Alexa using Python

Using Alexa to control Roku. There is an available app but it is only free for a few commands per month. Also tailored to my Roku channels and it has better navigation. Back end written in Python. Uses ngrok so my laptop is the back end so it can control Roku locally.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Setting up routines and reminders through an API

Allow development of custom app with feature compatibility with Alexa Companion App. This can be done through exposing functionality like setting up reminders, routines, address book, calling and messaging through either avs-SDK or expose server APIs.

This will be particularly useful in Alexa for Business settings.

10 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. profile

Need the ability to have all my kids see all echo devices in alexa app (should be aws orgs where all the devices roll up to parent account and then permission granted for devices to other house hold alexa users) to better utilize features such as going to a room and playing selected users playlist or to be able to control smart home features using alexa app as each child / adult has a different alexa login.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Retrieve Echo Device Name in LaunchRequest in addition to DeviceID

My live skill has customers who have multiple Alexa devices and I need to provide them a UI to tie a device with a particular task.

The problem is in LaunchRequest I get a device ID like this. amzn1.ask.device.AHKJQG7VUA6HX4FMMCRQYRFTTXTZACQAJVH3KRR5MBLNC64UQ7UMWH3FKSYAXMICNCWARKPUAPBOYXFMDZLXYQE5WJL4GMZUJX6S4JBXOE7ZCSKBH3T47C7UZ2W4Q3XPROSWKGANQHSPNRX5GQ5IIUH3VKTQ

If I show this in a dropdown to the customer to choose from, their brains will explode. Can you not pass us the friendly name of the device like "Ben's bedroom" or "Alice's living"

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Share and Follow Mechanics

The Alexa Voice Experience is such a solo experience.

Working out how to share and follow on Alexa is going to be success for Alexa's Skills.

Here is an example of the sharing mechanic:

"Do you want to share this forecast with your Mum?"

"Yes"

Alexa accesses user's address book.

Sends notification to "Mum's" phone via text message.

"Your daughter" wants to share her latest forecast with you?"

"Mum" clicks on notification link.

Link takes "Mum" to Alexa app and it enables the skill.

Alexa says "Your daughter wants you to know this forecast"

"Mum" hears Alexa talking.

Alexa says…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Let skill determine between an invocation on the app, and physical device

Currently, the Alexa app will resolve a listen() call within 1-2 seconds, requiring the user to make an immediate reply.

A physical device will wait 8 seconds.

By knowing on which type of device I'm running I can add a few seconds of silence to the playback, to give a good user experience, without them having to upgrade the app. (Assuming a fixed version of the app exists.)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Show Mode on iOS and Android Alexa App

Bring full Show Mode support to Alexa App on iOS and Android for Phones and Tablets similar to Show Mode on Fire Tablets with full Support for APL.

Amazon Music App already supports wake word while the app is open. Do the same in Alexa App while open with Show Mode to complete the Phone and Tablet experience on iOS and Android for multi-modal designed skills.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow hiding sensitive information in Alexa App History

Allow hiding sensitive information such as PIN codes in the Alexa App history. Capital One is doing this in their skill. Please enable other developers to do this.

22 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. QR Codes for Alexa Skills

Would QR codes work with Alexa Skills?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base