Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Mute audio while call.

Alexa should be able to recognize an active call if the cellphone is connected by Bluetooth. Then alexa schould mute audio during the call.

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with: Amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Send PlaybackNearlyFinished for short tracks, or allow responses to other

I have been asked to post bug reports here, so:

There is a long-term issue (at least since May 2018) with PlaybackNearlyFinished not firing for shorter tracks.

It has affected many developers, for example here: https://github.com/alexa/skill-sample-nodejs-audio-player/issues/104
    and here
    https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/178909/about-alexa-audio-error-on-skills.html

From my testing, sometimes it triggers on tracks around 15 seconds, sometimes it doesn't even trigger on tracks 30 seconds long.

The problem is that the only AudioPlayerEvent you can respond to with an ENQUEUE event is PlaybackNearlyFinished.

If this "short track bug" cannot be fixed, then at least if developers were allowed to ENQUEUE in response to other events (eg:…

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to normalize audio output

Currently there is no option to normalize the audio output from Alexa - e.g. the radio is playing and if you ask Alexa to do or answer something, you can hardly understand her.

When you therefore raise the volume, the radio volume is afterwards way to high, so you have to lower the volume and won't understand Alex after that.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add option to display hint with Audio Player Metadata

I have been using the new metadata field with the Audio Player in order to show title's and an image. However, there is no way to put my own hint on the screen. The Echo Show shows hints but they are hints not related to my skill. It would be nice to override that and display my own hints.

4 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Let Video Player support WebRTC

Currently, WebRTC is only available for smart home skills. A custom skill could only use Video Player to play videos using protocols like HLS.
    It would be nice for Video Player to support WebRTC, which could greatly decrease the latency caused by HLS.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Session should remain active while audio player is running.

While audio player is running, user can only move next or previous in the audio player. The session closes so any other command for skill has to be made after again reopening the session by saying invocation name which creates such an awkward user experience.

There are below use cases in the skill that i want to develop.
    1) Let user purchase product in between on going songs
    2) Let user navigate to main menu while audio player is playing.
    3) Let user choose from playlist while audio is playing in audio player

All the above three are restricted as…

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Simultaneous sounds

Allow for multiple sounds described using SSML to be played simultaneously. This will eliminate the need to wait for a sound to be finished playing before starting a new one or to be able to create more complex sound streams.

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow to resume an audio without any invocation name while a skill audio, which was being played using play directive, is being paused?

Allow to resume an audio without any invocation name while a skill audio, which was being played using play directive, is being paused?

3 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Audio Player analytics

When using the audio player, there's a few things missing that would be useful to know. For example, did the audio playback fail or was it successful? How long did someone spend listening? Did they listen all the way through or quit at the beginning?

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Refactor VideoApp Interface Design to be embeddable

I want to design skills that play videos as a "natural" part of the skill.

My example scenario:
    I'm building a custom company wiki with Alexa, that can be used to get some information about our company. They can use standard web-page-like intents, e.g. "How many employees has the company?", or ListTemplate based choices, e.g. "Buildings of the company in city x".
    I also want to show videos about our products or an image video embedded as "natural part" of the skill.

For example:
    - use of custom skill intents during video playtime
    - display custom hints, or disable the…

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add SeekController to the Smart Home API (in addition to Video)

The SeekController interface is currently only available for Video skills, whereas e.g. the PlaybackController interface is available for both Video and Smart Home skills. Saying 'go back 20 seconds' for a movie scene is a clear use of the interface, but this applies just as well to music (e.g. to repeat a guitar riff in a song). It may not be possible with streaming music but it can be done when controlling a media player playing local MP3 files so it would be a useful feature.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable Display interface on Fire TV devices other than the Cube

Enable Display interface on Fire TV devices

Currently: Fire TV Cube supports the Display interface. Other Fire TV devices do not currently support the Display interface. It would be nice if they did since it would be a larger market.

2 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Do not require SSL for audio player streams

Everyone likes the padlock in their URL bar. But, most (if not all) security breaches come from database theft, not IP packet sniffing -- especially sniffing of audio streams. Requiring SSL for audio streams/files is an extra complication that brings no benefit to the user, but introduces additional burden to the developer. Eliminate this requirement.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add a playSpeed attribute for the Video component

In the APL Video component the play speed cannot currently be increased or decreased. Adding a speed attribute would be useful for some use cases: e.g. games with higher difficulty could increase the play speed for a video-presented task.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow for much longer audio responses in APL for Audio

The current limit is 4 minutes. Our app plays backing tracks for guitarists and this is way too short. Please increase to at least 20 mins.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. alexa read kindle books speed control

It would be great to give Alexa the ability to read Kindle books at variable speeds. I usually listen to books and podcasts at 1.25x normal speed. I can't do this with the Alexa app controls.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. mirror echo show screen to tv

would love to see the Screensaver/ echo show congregation displayed on my large TV so I can easily see my reminders calendar event.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add A Video Timer

I would like to fall asleep to Forensic Files but don't want it to play all night long and currently, the 'Alexa, set a sleep timer for ***' doesn't work for that. There's no way to turn the videos off after a specific amount of time except to wake up and tell Alexa to turn it off. Since this comes from Amazon Prime Video, there should be no reason that this can't be incorporated. I can set a timer for pretty much anything else, But Video! I've seen lots of requests for this. I imagine there are a lot of…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Want to play amazon music in background as I watch video feed from cloud cam

I want to be able to watch a video feed from an added camera device (Amazon cloud cam, blink cam, eufycam, etc) while listening to amazon music in the background. Currently I have to switch between the two and cannot monitor my child's camera while listening to music.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to create and change sound profile

Ability to create and change sound profiles. So, the ability to save Bass-Midrange-Treble audio setting to a specific profile (ex. Podcast, Rock). And later, have the ability to change via voice (Alexa, set audio profile to Rock), Or (Alexa, change audio profile on Bedroom Echo to Podcast)

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base