Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Passthrough mode - In local mode, forward/catch-all to an intent

A feature called like "Passthrough": If a skill is in developer mode, only local (Alexa linked to the same account of the skill author?), forward any request to a predefined intent "Catch all", and if reply false, continue with the normal Alexa parser flow. For hobbyist and local/personal use.

Reason:

In my home, i have a custom home-automation system command(string)>response(string), with a Telegram bot (called "Memole"). Commands like "Temperature", "Power report", "Activate garden" etc.

I have a lots of Alexa and i develop (note: for myself only) a Custom Skill and a Home Skill.

Now, for the Telegram equivalent command…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide full user utterance

Provide full user utterance for every conversation whether Alexa recognizes the intents/slots or not. There are many cases where the Alexa NLU is getting it wrong and in our fulfillment code we could do a double check and greatly improve the user experience. But we can't double check if you won't tell us what the user says every time.

As mentioned in forums and stackoverflow multiple times. I'm shocked that I couldn't find this when searching feature requests to date.

153 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  20 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Customize Echo Show Home Screen

The ability to change the size of the clock, display date and next calendar appt would be appreciated by those with accessibility issues. Maybe a special accessibility screen similar to Tap to Alexa that satys on screen

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Person name is not taking properly

I want to make an alexa skill which takes two person names and test the love percentage. But what I came to see that alexa is not accurate when it comes to the person name. Is there a way that I can give the person name using spelling For example : I want to give 'Tejasai' as a slot but alexa is taking it as 'Tejas', Instead I want to give slot (or input) as
    'T' 'E' 'J' ' A ' 'S' 'A' 'I'

(spelling out each individual character) and it has to take the input as ' TEJASAI'.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Wait for further questions without wake up word

Listen for further questions without the wake up word after Alexa answers a question.

Wait for stop order without wake up word when alarms sound.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Follow me

When I have asked Alexa to start playing a CD in one room, but I am moving to another room, I don’t want to restart from the beginning. I want to be able to say “Alexa, follow me to the kitchen” and have what I was doing in the living room appear instead in the kitchen. If I am going back and forth a lot, it may be nice to be able to say “add the kitchen” and have it play in both places, but then be able to remove one device by saying “stop playing in the kitchen”. I…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add multi-value and negative-value slots

Let's say my user is ordering a burger:
    user: "I want a cheeseburger"
    alexa: "Alright. What toppings would you like?"
    user: "mayo, pickles and no onions"

In this scenario I've got to create some number of custom topping slots. {topping1} {topping2} etc.. and then every iteration of sample utterances up to however many toppings might possibly exist on a burger.

There has to be a better way. I don't want to ask the user for toppings one at a time until they say "no more, please". Collecting multiple values to the same slot would fix this.

Next, in the same…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Persist more than 24kb of data between intents in a session

I'm getting intent failures with no corresponding error messages in logs (using alexa-skills-kit-sdk-for-nodejs and Lambda).

In troubleshooting, it looks like I may be exceeding the max allowed size of the JSON Response object. I see from the docs that the total size of your response cannot exceed 24 kilobytes.

I'm using session attributes to store data I need, and in some circumstances that data is larger than 24kb. The same documentation as referenced above says: When returning your response, you can include data you need to persist during the session in the sessionAttributes property. The attributes you provide are then…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) in Intent Utterances and Slot Values/Synonyms

Since you can use IPA and SSML in Alexa responses, allow IPA in requests for intent utterances and slot values/synonyms.

SSML that uses International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) in response:

<speak>
    I am from <phoneme alphabet="ipa" ph="ʃɨˈkɑːɡoʊ">Chicago</phoneme>.
    </speak>
    Proposed: Allow IPA in request in either intents or slots:

{
    "name": "SAMPLE_City",
    "values": [
    {
    "name": {
    "value": "/ˈpɪtsbɜːrɡ/"
    }
    },
    {
    "value": "Chicago",
    "synonyms": [
    "/ʃɪˈkɑːɡoʊ/"
    ]
    }
    },
    {
    "value": "Phoenix",
    "synonyms": [
    "/ˈfiːnɪks/"
    ]
    }
    }
    ]
    }

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow Routines to be Interactive

Allow a skill when activated to be interactive with Yes or No commands

Example:

Routine is activated by spoken command

User: "Alexa, I'm home."
    Alexa: "Hello, would you like to review your schedule and reminders for today?"
    User: "Yes"
    Alexa: "You have three events remaining... Would you like to hear your reminders?"
    User: "No"

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Don't require constant customer dialog interaction for long-form content

I would love to see some improvement to the possible interactions that can occur between an Alexa skill and customers. Currently, it relies heavily on a back and forth dialog with customers, but isn't well-suited to long-form content (like articles, which I'll use as an example throughout going forward). I'd like to be able to return a relatively small amount of an article at a time, and react to events emitted by the Alexa infrastructure that allow me to prepare the next chunk of the article and present it to the customer seamlessly, without any interruption.

Say we have a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Name-Free interaction for Private Skill

We will like a Name-Free interaction for Private Skill.
    Since more users will use private skill, Name-Free interaction can make people easy to trigger and use private skills.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Interaction model size

Increase the interaction model size from 2.5MB. This limits the usability to a great extent. It has a lot of scope from a business perspective if the size is increased.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. add interaction model editor and skill settings to ask toolkit for vs code

I believe a great addition to the ASK Toolkit for Visual Studio Code would be to bring more of the visual tools and editors within the IDE. It would be great to be able to work through the interaction model and add intents, utterances, slots, etc as well as the general skill properties and be able to validate them before deployment or building in the developer console that would update my local files. Then when I deploy my skill using ask-cli everything is in sync with my changes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. CanFulfill should work with private\development skills.

As the title states. I am not sure if this is a technical limitation, and why it only applies to public skills. Canfulfill is completely ignored on development\private skills and I think that limits it's use in both practice and during testing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Increase the hard limit size of the interaction model (2MB)

When attempting to build skill, the operation fails due to the skill exceeding 2MB in size. Vote to increase hard limit for size of interaction model!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make Alexa check for intents *inside* the skill before searching for a native/keyword function

It's increasingly common and frustrating to have Alexa ignore intents provided by the skill and instead pivot to a native function / keyword function.

For example, in a cooking skill I've included various intents for calling up the list of recipes offered by the skill. But as soon as Alexa hears the word "recipe", she quits the skill and says, "Sure. I can search by dish name and ingredients. What would you like?"

Alexa obviously did not check my list of intents, because if she did she would've read the list of recipes in my skill to the user.

The…

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add request/command invocation type to be sent for intents

Allow an intent to receive information on whether or not the user had requested an intent or given a command.

Especially for kid skills, the ability to alter the response based on the manners involved in invoking the intent could drastically alter the response and, if given as an aspect of the skill info on the marketplace, alter parents decision to enable it for their children.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make Follow Up listening duration configurable

I'm not a native English speaker and it takes me longer to think about the command I'm going to say. As such, I often find the follow up mode unusable for me because Alexa stops listening sooner than I manage to formulate the next command in my head. It's also often a bit unclear when does Alexa start listening (in Follow Up) and when does it stop so I easily end up in ridiculous command-repeating situations.

Making this listening time configurable would allow me to extend this duration while keeping it the same for quicker speakers.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Merged  ·  0 comments  ·  Interaction Model  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. session attributes

Session attributes should be included in all requests and responses between alexa and a skill. Why would sessionEnd miss the session attributes? It is like talking to a person without short term memory.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base