Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve the documentation for the node ASK SDK v2

The documentation of the new ASK SDK for node.js (https://ask-sdk-for-nodejs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) seemed to be missing a few concepts compared to the v1.

It would be good to include more code example inside the documentation (not only the api references), for example, how to setup a PersistenceAdapter, and how to use it.

There's also very little in this documentation about state management and Display Template.

I'm sure there's other stuff that I haven't listed and that were in the previous documentation (https://github.com/alexa/alexa-skills-kit-sdk-for-nodejs/tree/v1.0.25).

Cheers, Alex

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Smart Home Skill Api For Curtains/Drapes

Hi Team,

Currently In Alexa Smart Home Skill there is no Api to control Drapes/Curtains.
    For Example:
    Alexa,open Living Room Curtain
    Alexa,close Living Room Curtain

It will be very useful if Smart Home team implement this feature specially for Hotel Automation and also smart home automation.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide access to DynamoDB's time-to-live attribute

Useful for automating data limits and date-based cleanup. This replaces sdk-for-nodejs request #240.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. update documentation for customer contact API

The documentation the the customer contact API says to use the following end points "/v2/accounts/~current/settings/Profile.name". A follow up note says: "~current" represents the userId of the current user (account that invoked your skill).

I read that and assume I need to replace "~current" with the userID... which isn't the case (after 2 days of off/on testing).

Additional detail here: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/179334/how-do-you-request-user-contact-information.html?childToView=180317#answer-180317

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add support for PROXY on ask-cli

Lots of us are developing skills behind a corporate firewall. The ask-cli is a great tool that we can't use since most corporate firewall's require the use of a proxy server which is not supported in the cli

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Update serviceClientFactory to include customer profile

I believe there needs to be an equivalent serviceClientFactory call for the customer profile (e.g. - 'serviceClientFactory.getDeviceAddressServiceClient()' is used for device address; I assume 'serviceClientFactory.getCustomerProfileServiceClient()' would be the equivalent for Customer Profile info)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ability to make API requests on the local network

Lambda function would ask echo to query the local network and echo would send the response to lambda function (like it does with the function to speak/listen).

This would allow API requests on devices which are not open on the public network. Like a TV box, to use its tv remote control's API. Or a home automation box ... etc

I live in France and my network provider (Free Telecom) provide a tv remote control's API for box TV. But it's working only on my local network. For my usage i could use a proxy on a Raspberry PI but…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to create devices with ASK SDK

Currently I wasn't able to find an option to create a smart home device in NodeJS ASK SDK. It only allows to create event handlers. For instance Insteon skill for Alexa allows to create devices that alexa can communicate directly with (i.e. you can ask alexa to turn on light switch derectly without saying: "tell skillname to turn on the lights").

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Call same intent after say 30 seconds automatically

For example, I invoke the skill by saying alexa take a note and after 30 seconds alexa asks me for it then again after 1 min alexa aks me for a note. Basically use setInterval() (node.js) in a response. Make a response go forever after every 30 seconds.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Alexa Smart Home: actual support for devices which are traditionally controlled by up/down or open/close switches

If you want to add the ability to, for example, control blinds in your smart home skill, the only option you have is the Alexa.PercentageController Interface.
    This leaves you with the option to control your blinds by saying something like: "Alexa, set blinds to sixty". This feels very unnatural in our opinion. Wouldn't it be much more convenient to control such devices by saying: "Alexa, open/close blinds"? An optional "Alexa, stop" utterance could then interrupt the process.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide locale property in event (Skillevent, Listevent) to allow translation

Current localization documentation states the following:

"Note that list events and skill events that are sent to your service do not include the locale property."
    https://developer.amazon.com/de/docs/custom-skills/develop-skills-in-multiple-languages.html

Request / idea:

Please add locale support to Skillevents and Listevents as well so that event based skill can be translated based on that information. Currently developers can only use a fallback language - e.g. english.

According to Alexa dev forum there is no workaround in place as well.

I would need the "locale" property in the "request" for the corresponding event type. E.g. "AlexaHouseholdListEvent.ItemsCreated".

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. ask-cli exclude files during deploy to lambda

Add the ability to exclude files during lambda deploy.

$ deploy --target lambda --exclude */.test.js

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Accessing alexa contacts from the skill programming

Allow access to Alexa contacts from the skill development environment. so that one can develope a skill around contact search

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Intent switching during LaunchRequest

Currently, if a user launches a skill without an intent, they can only then say something similar to a sample utterance to trigger an intentRequest. If, sent from backend code, there could be a transition from a launchRequest to an intentRequest, specifiying the intent name to switch to, the dialog directive could also be used straight after launching the skill without the unnatural need to say the command to trigger the intent.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Cache option for audio embedded in SSML

Whenever my skill returns SSML with embedded audio, the ASK API will fetch that audio file from my server and send it to the user's Alexa.

This generates a lot of traffic on my server and might result in high latency.

It would be great if there is a caching mechanism for these audio files that prevents the ASK API to fetch the audio file on every single request.

Here are two caching strategies that might make sense:

1. Add an Audio Upload API to the ASK API like Facebook does for Messenger Bots: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/messenger-platform/reference/attachment-upload-api

2. Automatically cache fetched audio files for…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Interface Descriptions

In order for Echo Show to play videos the Skill needs both the Video Interface and the Display Interface enabled.

It is not explained in the documentation that the Display Interface needs to be enabled for a skill to play a video.

This issue caused a large amount of wasted development time. Please consider changing the Interface descriptions and/or documentation to reflect this.

Thank you,

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. streamline identity flow for Authentication and account linking

Keeping the voice first spirit user's should be allowed to link there Alexa with a skill using just voice. We for example just need an email and name to create account in our system. If Amazon provides an api to send this on fly when user says "yes go ahead link" then we can create an account on the fly and return an accessToken

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Deleting Voice Recordings Programmatically

I have a project coming up for someone that may include sensitive info, and I thought it would be useful to be able to run a script to delete voice clips through the CLI in order to scrub information it might have sent off without having to manually go through the app or something every time.

Or, even better, a way through the ASK to say something like "Alexa, delete voice recordings" and have it delete the recordings in some way.

I had originally asked about this in the dev forum and it was suggested that I suggest it here.…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base