Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I would like to trigger the build in phone function of Alexa in a custom Skill

I think it would be nice if i could trigger a call directly from my skill if the user need more information !

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow HTTPS service endpoint with an ipv6 only dns entry (AAAA record) for the domain

I would like to be able to test new skills on a local server which is only accessible via a public ipv6 address. The domain/subdomain has an appropriate dns entry (AAAA record) and ssl certificate.
    As of now, neither the developer console nor a live test with an Echo is able to resolve the domain name.

I originally asked this as a question to the developer support and they suggested to raise the topic here.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. CanFulfillIntentRequest should give access to the rough location of the user

CanFulfillIntentRequest should provide some basic context for the user such as (general) location information. My skill is only useful to people in a particular geographic region (the 5 boroughs of New York City). It'd make sense to allow it to fulfill intent requests originating from New York, but not from Chicago. I don't think think there's any way to distinguish at this time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. rendering template for smartphone displays

since the last update photos within skills are finally also shown in android display. these correspond to the bodytemplate 3 for echo devices with displays. it would be nice if you could also set the bodytemplate for skills that also appear on smartphones displays. if you try to include the bodytemplates in the code the skill crashes in the alexa app.

to get it to the point. the function "card.renderer()" is automatically set to bodytemplate3. The developer should have the possibility to decide in which template format the photos should appear on the app with the function card.renderer().

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Indicate whether a reprompt has been spoken (or not).

I have an ASK v2, node.js lambda function that prompts and reprompts in the regular way with the prompt (.speak()) providing information and and eliciting the next utterance, followed by a couple of other example utterances (let's call them hints) in the reprompt, something like:

return responseBuilder
    .speak('blah blah blah. What would you like next?')
    .reprompt('You might say something like When do you open? ' +
    'or How much are tickets?')
    .getResponse()

I have a set of hints and try to speak them in a way that exposes the most useful first, followed by the not-quite-so-useful next, and so on.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide Official ASK CLI Docker Image

I was surprised to find that there is no official Docker image for development with the ASK CLI. The "amazon" user on Docker Hub contains only a couple images for working specifically with ECS and Elastic Beanstalk, and there does not appear to be any official "alexa" user. Upon further investigation, I found the aws-codebuild-docker-images repo in the "aws" GitHub organization, but unfortunately it does not have any sample Dockerfiles that install the ASK CLI either. There are similar issues open at the AWS CLI repo, because there is no official Amazon Docker image for the AWS CLI either, so…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add alexa smart home directive to remove a grant (Unlink / Disable skill)

Similarly to the AcceptGrant Directive. https://developer.amazon.com/docs/device-apis/alexa-authorization.html#acceptgrant

Would be nice to receive an event (DeleteGrant?) whenever the user tap on the disable skill button.

In this way we can clean/free resources on our side too.
    Currently the only way to detect that a user had disabled the skill is with the error response from the alexa event gateway.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  sstearl responded

Hello,

Thank you for submitting an Alexa Skills Feature Request. To keep the site purpose-driven and actionable, we only surface Alexa skills and Alexa developer feature requests at this time. Your request has been received and routed to the appropriate internal team for consideration. You can review our guidelines for how to post an effective feature request here: http://alexa.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1823500

Thank you!

8. Provide alexa feedback for each smarthome skill error type

There are few error types available when replying to an alexa event: https://developer.amazon.com/docs/device-apis/alexa-errorresponse.html#error-type-values

Seems that the error type does not influence the response of alexa to the user..
    See: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/176777/smart-home-skill-error-response.html

Please document how alexa will react to each error.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Access the web browser in my Echo Show skill?

I would like to start a bookmarked video or web application by voice in my skill.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 8 second response time is not sufficient for IoT use cases

I'm working on an IoT Industrial use case for which I need an "open" response window to communicate with the Alexa service. For a successful proof-of-concept, a user needs to remain focused on the task at hand, while Alexa responds to voice cues in the background to drive IoT devices. The 8-second user response limit is unusable in this scenario.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. New slot type AMAZON.DATE_PAST

Feature: new slot AMAZON.DATAPAST and AMAZON.TIMEPAST that only delivers dates and times in the past. If the user clearly asks for dates and times in the future ("next monday") the slot should deliver an error.

Reason: We have skills with slots AMAZON.DATE, which only refer to dates in the past. Currently AMAZON.DATE defaults to dates in the future and it is very hard to get dates in the past from that slot. We work around that in our code but that is error prone and annoying.

There are also many skills out there, where dates only refer to…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Programmatically mute the device or programmatically check the Device's Mute status

We wanna be able to mute the device and check the Device's Mute status. This would offer more flexibilities to address some security concerns.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. How to disable recording of specific user utterance?

Is there any way we can disable recording of specific user utterance by Alexa. As part of a security requirement, the user might utter a security PIN(not to be confused with Alexa PIN) which needs to be validated in the lambda. But this security PIN(or this specific utterance) should not get recorded by Alexa. Is this feature available in Alexa ?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unique device ID for each Alexa device needed

We have a use case to put Alexa devices into many rooms and write custom Alexa skills to serve different responses and perform database updates based on which room they are in. As a result, we need to uniquely identify each Alexa in order to identify the room. We have look into various work around:
    1) use "context:System:device:deviceId" which is specific to each skills and changes when the skills disable/enable.
    2) use different userid to identify different Alexa but this would mean having many user accounts if the deployment is big
    3) when Skill detects unknown "context:System:device:deviceId", expect user to…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. unlink account from ask sdk

It would be great, If we have any functionality available to unlink account from ask sdk. If there is any security lapse, we should be able to unlink the user account from the skill using ask sdk.

This feature can be used implement security requirements like the one described in the below topic

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/171861/unlinking-an-account-after-3-incorrect-attempts.html

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support for Amazon.Litteral in French

hello when the support of Amazon.Litteral will be done for French Skills ?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Echo Look Support

The Echo Look doesn't currently have any support in the Node SDK. I would like to develop an app that takes advantage of the video and picture capability of this device.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Provide TypeScript Examples

The SDKv2 is built with TypeScript and I'd like to see example apps also built using TypeScript.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. "Soft launch" new skill without showing up in "suggested skills" list

I'd like to "soft launch" a new skill so that it doesn't show up in the "suggested skills" list in the SkillShop, but it shall be fully live, searchable and publicly available. Besides I want to get the usual statistics like who is installing, how many organic hits per day etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Profanity Filter

Please provide an api for checking if a given text has any profane words violating the Amazon policy here - https://developer.amazon.com/docs/custom-skills/policy-testing-for-an-alexa-skill.html#mature

I am trying to implement one for my app and its a very iterative process working with the alexa certification team. It will help multiple developers if there is such an api.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base