Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide develops the ability to enable users to call (VOIP) through Alexa

We have a number of use cases where the objective is to enable the user to speak to a live person:

• Call a restaurant to order a meal
    • Call the right doctor's office
    • Call the "Call Center" for a particular pharmaceutical

As the capability to use VOIP through Alexa already exists, providing it to developers through the SDK would enable us to greatly improve user experience and fulfill our use cases through voice UI alone.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add FM and DAB etc. to the InputController

I don't know if the intention is for the Mode Controller to replace the Input Controller in due course but as it stands the input controller does not have the full set of useful inputs in the localised markets.

In the UK for example I would suggest that FM, DAB are certainly missing and arguably it would be useful to have the more branded Freesat, Freeview, Sky as likely components that are driving an input.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow multiple friendly names for a single endpoint id in smart home skill

A device can be called by multiple names such as a Study light can also be a painting light if it is located beside painting. This feature is available for custom skill , so why not extend it to smart home skill.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Support SVG Images in APL Templates

The APL Image component currently only supports JPEG and PNG images. I propose adding support for vector graphics (SVG) which allow displaying of images using (in some cases) less bandwidth and better scaling for different display sizes.

Currently, SVGs so not render on the device at all, but are shown as expected in the simulator.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please can the units of measure be enhanced to include all SI Units

The SmartHome SDK RangeController accepts a unit of measure.

It would be helpful if the full SI unit catalogue could be handled (both Base and Derived: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units#Base_units)

I can immediately see a need for Hertz for example

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. delete persistence record automatically when user disables a skill

In node.js if a user disables your skill, the framework should delete the persistent info record from the DynamoDB stream for the alexa skill automatically. Why leave dead data in my persistence store? The user has decided to disable the skill. It even gives you a warning that it will remove information but it's not deleting it from my dynamo db stream.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Alexa auto Invoke to read Notification

I want to create some skills that could aromatically invoke Alexa to return some notifications upon satisfying certain criterion like meeting certain conditions or at certain time period. So, I want Alexa Team to make such a feature so that developers can use it.
    For example :There is a notification message which you want Alexa to automatically read out by getting automatically invoked at a certain time upon satisfying certain condition.

Please, create such a feature and for any quwriqu regarding this idea please follow back.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add Locale information to the SmartHome API, in particular discovery

I had posted this previously but it seems to have disappeared?

With the SmartHome SDK there is a need to prevent users accessing interfaces that are not in specific regions. For example, an Australian customer accessing the US endpoint may or may not have access to the SceneController capability or the TemperatureSensor capability.

This is controlled at a level below the specific Alexa Gateway as some gateways only support some interfaces in some languages. We need a mechanism to identify which interfaces are supported.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Alexa Skills Kit SDK for Ruby

Please build an Alexa Skills Kit SDK for Ruby! Is there one in the works? What can I do to help? I really want to build Alexa skills in Ruby but I'm willing to wait if there's a Ruby ASK SDK coming. Thanks for all the great tools!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add S3 Persistence Support to ASK SDK for Python

Currently the ASK SDK for Python supports data persistence using DynamoDB and it is recommended to use it, however, to expand some capabilities that only S3 can provide is a great alternative. the SDK for NodeJS already includes support for this officially. Not sure if this can be useful, I have implemented it and the information can be found here https://github.com/frivas/alexa-s3-persistence-python

I hope you find it useful.
    Thank you very much.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Alexa Skills Kit Java SDK for Smart Home

Currently the Alexa Skills Kit SDK only supports custom skills , not smart home skills ,when I develop my smart home skill ,I have to handle the inputstream and outputstream which are not friendly to developers , hope the Alexa Skills Kit Java SDK supports smart home skills as custom skills

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. ASK-CLI YAML as option for configs instead of json

JSON is great, but YAML is way easier. Especially the configs for models can be quite long and the ability to add comments in YAML would really make it easier to read.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Locally control ZigBee devices connected to my Echo Plus Hub

All my home automation devices use the Z-Wave radio protocol (sockets, lights, shutters, sirens, etc ...) and only one uses the ZigBee protocol: the Philips Hue lamp purchased with my Echo Plus.

I also have other connected objects (Netatmo weather, Netatmo security, Foscam camera, GreenIQ, Harmony Elite) each with their own communication mode.
    Mostly all these devices have a set of APIs and, thus, I can manage all these objects from my home automation box Fibaro.

ALL EXCEPT my Philips Hue bulb which is managed ONLY FROM my Echo Plus.

So here's the improvement I'm asking for: be able to…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  4 comments  ·  ASK SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add a AMAZON.PostalCode Slot.

Add a AMAZON.PostalCode slot.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Document All ASK CLI skill.json Config Options

Would like to see all possible options for the ASK CLI Config. especially for those with restricted values. e.g. possible categories, locales, various options in apis['interfaces'], etc. in skills.json

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Integrate a code generator into Alexa Developer Portal

My proposal is to integrate a skill boilerplate code generator into Alexa Developer Portal

The code generator could be something like like this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/webappvui/skillcode/v2/index.html#

A ONE-CLICK skill lambda code init. could save bunch of hours of coding saved!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Feature Request: Provide the Alexa Speech Recognition result in text

I want an API to get the Alexa Speech Recognition text result. For example,

user says "Alexa, what is the weather today?"
    device microphone records the sound and processes it as binary audio, then send to Alexa cloud service
    due to the accent, distance, background noise or something else, Alexa may get any of the following result as transcription text from the input binary audio stream:
    "Alexa, what the weather today?"
    "Alexa, what is the wee today?"
    "Alexa, what is the bad weather today?
    I hope this API could get the actual Alexa recognition/transcription result in text and return.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Increase the limit on number of intents in a skill

Increase the limit on number of intents. Currently there is a limit of 250 intents. If the skill has a reach capabilities the number of intents can easily increase this number.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide an error code for smart home skill devices that need some time between each controll

I've created a smart home skill for a device that needs some time between each actuation.

I know in advance if a device is ready or not to be controlled again.

I would like to provide a nicer feedback to the user by replying to control request with an error indicating that the device need some time to execute a new command in the cases where my device cannot be controlled when the request arrives.

This command should be translated in something like:
    The device X is temporarily busy please try again later.

The ASK SDK already provide few errors…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow intent forwarding without user utterance

I'd like to programmatically invoke an intent from the handler of another intent to make dialogue flow easier on the user. For example, let's say I am in the LaunchRequest handler and I query a database to see if a user has made a previous purchase through my skill. If they have, I'd like to prompt them when the skill launches, "Would you like to purchase your most recent item again?" to which they can answer "yes" or "no" and use the YesIntent and NoIntent to forward them to the proper handler (for example, "PurchaseAgainIntent" or "NewPurchaseIntent"). However, when I…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base