Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Making a CatchAll slot

At the moment there isn't the possibility to use a CatchAll slot.

We can use SearchQuery but only if there isn't any custom slot in the utterance.

It would be great if there is the possibility to use a slot that can catch everything

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow "until 7 PM" for AMAZON.DURATION slot

Let the AMAZON.DURATION slot process indirect durations from offsets of the current time.

For example, it is currently 2 PM and I elicit an AMAZON.DURATION slot from a user with a prompt like "How long would you like to stay?"

Most users will respond with a duration like "4 hours" or "30 minutes", but we've done some testing and some users would respond with an offset like "until 7 PM".

Could Alexa provide a match for AMAZON.DURATION slot with a value of "PT5H" in this scenario, because 7 PM is 5 hours from now (2PM)?

If you use an AMAZON.TIME…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Deactivate intents directive depending on context

Depending on the state of the user discussion, It could be useful to be able to deactivate on the fly some intents, by sending an appropriate directive, to restrict the intents matching possibilities and make the intent selection more efficient.

For instance, if I have a skill with the following intents:
    - ListPossibleGames
    - StartAGame
    - ProvideGameAnswer
    If my game have two states: ChooseGame and Playing.
    It could be useful, to deactivate the ProvideGameAnswer intent when being in ChooseGame state, and to disable the two others when being in Playing state. This way, Alexa will never retrieve by accident an…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Replacement for AMAZON.LITERAL

Since AMAZON.LITERAL is discontinued and developers are encouraged to use AMAZON.SearchQuery or Slot values to handle the data.

We have a requirement for building skill with parsing the entire spoken text as token to the API for further business processing.

Tried with Amazon.SearchQuery (fails when no matching utterance found) and Fallback intent (only failed mapping from Slots are returned) with no luck.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. fallback

I would like to know the utterances that triggered Fallback intent so that I can improve my skill over time.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Slot for IPV4 address

IP address slot

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Remove the requirement for a leading phrase with AMAZON.SearchQuery

We would like to use this, but can't because the rules are too restrictive.If a user is asked about what they want info about, they should not be forced to say "tell me about Point Defiance Zoo". They should be able to say "Point Defiance Zoo" with no leading phrase. Instead of forcing us to use a leading or trailing phrase, please allow the use of just {query} (without 'search for...' or other text around it as in the example below:
    {

"name": "SearchIntent",

"samples": [

"search for {Query}",

"find out {Query}",

"search for {Query} near me"

],

"slots": [
    59 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  9 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Capture if AM/PM was specified in AMAZON.Time slot

I make use of AMAZON.Time slot in my skill. I received feedback from the certification team that I should confirm if a user meant AM or PM when specifying a twelve-hour time. There is one edge case that poses an annoying problem with this feedback.

Since all times are parsed as 24-hour format by the AMAZON.Time slot type, I have no way to know whether a user said, for example "five" or "five a.m." because both get parsed as "05:00". In other words, I lose information about whether the user already explicitly said "five a.m." or if they just said…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Record Audio files with intents

Would be great to be able to record & handle audio files with Alexa.

For example: "Alexa, start recording", recording.... "Alexa, stop recording" & then we developers would get an audio file of that. That would be a great feature & would give a lot of opportunities for new apps.

Keep voting this up :)

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  8 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Include 12/24 time interpretation in SSML

I am currently building an Alexa skill that uses an external API (LibCal). The API returns the availability of study rooms in military time (13:00, etc). This is not an issue because the AMAZON.TIME slot changes a user given time to military automatically (from "one pm" to "13:00") so I can search for a given time without converting. However, I would like Alexa to speak out times in Standard rather than Military. As of now, Alexa speaks times like "13:00" as "thirteen hundred hours". It would be great if Alexa can recognize military times (the same way it does when…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. AMAZON.US_FIRST_NAME doesn't handle multi-word names

The built-in slot type AMAZON.USFIRSTNAME has a very large list of names, and it matches those names fairly consistently. One weakness it has, however, is that it does not handle double names (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_name), such as "*********", properly.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Open the developer console
    2. Create a skill with an intent that has a slot for USFIRSTNAME
    3. Open the test console
    4. Launch the skill
    5. Attempt to the invoke the intent using the name "Billie Jean"

Expected:
    -Slot value sent to skill is "Billie Jean"

Actual:
    -Slot value sent to skill…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. slot type for currency

Have slot types for currency as with AMAZON.numbers you wont get far (in my case I build a pocket money tracker and now my son things he has 102 euro instead of 2.50€ 😫)

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add AMAZON.Number support in AMAZON.SelectIntent

Right now SelectIntent supports AMAZON.Ordinal for options (fifth option). But it doesn't support AMAZON.Number Slot type (option five). We are getting user responses like "option five" instead of "fifth option". We cannot expect the user to say "select fifth option" instead user might say option five. Adding Number slot type to SelectIntent would fulfill the intent purpose.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Regular expression for custom slot types

For custom slot types, regular expression should also be allowed. This can help with lot of complications when it comes to custom slot types

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fallbackintent

It would be very useful to have some way to retrieve in the endpoint which user input activated Fallback intent so the endpoint could add it's own mechanisms for managing it

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Recognize tenths of an hour with AMAZON.DURATION

The built-in intent does not correctly interpret durations like "point one hours" or "point two hours". Instead, it interprets them as on hour (PT1H) and two hours (PT2H), respectively. It would be great to see the built-in intent extended with this capability.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. money type

we need a type for money. so if i say, "i want to pay 4 dollars and 12 cents" the slot returns 4.12. currently i'm using two slots and a lot of utterances which is painful.

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks a lot for submitting this request. Your request has been received.

18. alphanumeric slot type

Create an AMAZON.ALPHANUMERIC slot type (although with a better, shorter name!) This would extend the current AMAZON.NUMBER slot type and hopefully improve the recognition model. Discussed in https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/4821/how-would-you-design-slots-for-letter-and-number-c.html

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. AMAZON.NUMBER Negative

Slot Type : AMAZON.NUMBER doesn't work with negative number.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  1 comment  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Slot type "number" with leading zero

Need a "number" that supports leading zero's. So when a user enters "012" it reads back "zero one two". The current number type reads back "twelve".

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base