Alexa Skills - Developer Voice And Vote

Welcome to the Alexa Skills Feature Request site! This site enables Alexa Skills Developers to request and vote on features you’d like to see in the developer toolset and services for Alexa.

To keep this site purpose-driven and actionable, we moderate requests. Here’s some guidance on how to create great feature requests that can be evaluated by our development teams. For conversation, dialogue or help, you should visit our Alexa forums. We appreciate your input.

-Alexa Skills team

How can we improve Alexa Skill development services and tools?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Control when A Skill goes Live

When I submit a skill for certification, there is no way to know when it is going to go live. It may go Live off-hours or when I am not available.

This causes several issues.

1) I can't promote my skill ( Can't tell my users my skill will be available on xx/xx)

2) I can't be available to monitor after initial deployment. (monitor logs, have support ready etc..)

3)I don't know when to turn on any backend API's, Systems etc. (If I have version 1.0 of let's say a lambda function on arn xxxx. I have no way of…

120 votes
    Sign in

Sign in with a provider below:

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Skill Certification  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable and allow true push capabilities

Expanding the current implementation of Push would unlock a massive developer opportunity. Please allow devs to build and users to select skills that can speak without the user initiating the conversation. If a skill gets annoying they can turn it off.

106 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Have Alexa pause during a conversation to allow user to think

Have Alexa pause when user needs time to think about a response/answer.

User can say: "wait" or "pause" or "one sec"
    System will flash orange ring until user says: "OK"

Conversation flow resumes.

105 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. User-specific flash briefing content

The current flash briefing content (per provider) is a 'one size fits all approach'. Everyone gets the same NPR briefing, for example.

There are many use-cases where user-specific information could be very powerful in the flash briefing, often in concert with interactive skills. Some examples:

* A sport team skill that (in the flash briefing) reminds you of your game time this weekend (or of changes), without you ever having to touch a calendar

* A retailer skill that (in a flash briefing) advises of significant deals, relevant to your buying history or explicit 'watch list'.

I think this would…

85 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flash Briefing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. API for custom skill / flash briefing usage statistics

Currently, it’s impossible to get any data about the flash briefings usage at all. It’s crucial to know at least number of unique listeners and number of plays during some period of time.

For the custom skills we are able to count the requests and sessions ourselves, since we host the backend for a skill, but still, there are a lot of tricky points, for example we are not able to distinguish requests from the certification team, so we count them as usual requests from Alexa users.

I think that's a super basic functionality that really breaks the experience for…

79 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  9 comments  ·  Skill Metrics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Open Skills by an Alarm

This feature would be similar to playing music with an Alarm but it would open a skill.

73 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reminders / Timers / Alarms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Be able to activate skills with routines

Routines are currently extremely limited compared to other devices. Combining multiple commands or skill activations or being able to write code into routines would be extremely valuable for power users.

72 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Rich Content Cards for Users

When I need to present something to my user that requires a more complex interaction with the user. In my usecase it's playlist generation where voice interaction would not be simple and I would need to direct user to a web environment. I can pass a card with a URL that is easy for the user to type in but it would be better if the URL was clickable.

68 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Multimodal / Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Event-based system notifying about skill publishing status (dev, live, cert) update

Right now if I want to get a publishing status of a skill (live, dev, certification), I need to manually go to the SMAPI and ask for that. If you have 3 or 4 thousands of skills that you want to keep up to date, it’s about 5 thousands of requests to SMAPI every half an hour or even more often.

So, to reduce the number of requests and waiting time for users drastically, it’s crucial to have some kind of an event system to be notified when the skill has changed its status from dev to certification or from…

58 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  2 comments  ·  Skill Management API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Dynamic Slot Values

I have a skill that looks up property management information for apartment buildings. We have over 150 properties which are defined as values for a slot. 4 digit property numbers for values and string property names as synonyms.

I would like to be able to query a database for the slot values and synonyms dynamically at runtime.

55 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Received  ·  Alexa Admin responded

Thanks for the suggestion, Kevin! We’ll get this routed over to the appropriate internal team for review.

11. 52 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  8 comments  ·  Text To Speech (TTS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remove requirement for Invocation name when an Audio Streaming skill is playing

Problem:

When an audio streaming skill is actively streaming/playing, users of the skill have to re-open the skill in order to issue additional commands. This creates a very awkward user experience, for example:

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play This American Life"

<This American Life starts playing>

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play the oldest episode"

<oldest episode starts playing>

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to fast forward 3 minutes"

<episode fast forwards>

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to <etc>"

--

Solution 1:

Ideally this interaction would go like this:

"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play This American Life"

<This American Life starts playing>

"AnyPod, play the…

48 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  3 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. money type

we need a type for money. so if i say, "i want to pay 4 dollars and 12 cents" the slot returns 4.12. currently i'm using two slots and a lot of utterances which is painful.

48 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Forcing a user to remember a skill name is counter-intuitive, bad experience and leads to low adoption rates.

PROBLEM: Forcing a user to remember a skill name is counter-intuitive, bad experience and leads to low adoption rates.

Examples :
    Alexa, tell Agent NEO to find my Home Value
    Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on my TV
    Alexa, ask AllRecipes for a Pasta Recipe

Proposed Solution:
    Alexa, find my home's value (Alexa knows that the skill Agent NEO that the user has enabled, can handle this intent)
    Alexa, turn on my TV (Alexa knows that the skill Agent NEO that the user has enabled, can handle this intent)
    Alexa, find a Pasta Recipe (Alexa knows that the skill AllRecipes…

42 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  International/regions/languages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow render template directives during dialog directives

Currently, if a dialog is mid progress, it overrides any displays that we may want to show relating to the dialog. Would greatly enhance user experience on multi-modal skills.

40 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  8 comments  ·  Visual Cards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bring AMAZON.FallbackIntent to other languages

The recently introduced AMAZON.FallbackIntent, which allows utterances which do not match any of the utterances associated with other intents to be picked up by a skill, is extremely useful. However, this can only be used in English (US) skills and not any any other languages, such as English (UK). This makes development harder than it should be and discourages developers from creating their skills in multiple languages.

38 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  7 comments  ·  Built-in Intent / Slots  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow Flash Briefings to use SSML

Right now Flash Briefings won't parse SSML in their preamble, error message, or text output. This means content written for a custom skill (for example) cannot be used for Flash Briefings, and any output that could be massaged to sound correct will instead come out sounding wrong.

37 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  6 comments  ·  Flash Briefing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Alexa, Turn on/off 'device' in "x" minutes

Using timer trigger for this will help. Currently, you can only achieve this by defining a specific time.

This is especially useful for devices that would normally be set to the default position of "on" and I don't want to forget that I temporarily turned it off.

Alternatively, you could give us the ability "if off, turn on in 'x' minutes".

Also useful because default position in most switches is 'off' after power outage. Right now, I'm running a 'turn on' once per hour in case of power failure.

I'd really like to get it down to 10 minutes but…

34 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  0 comments  ·  Reminders / Timers / Alarms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Adding a new (custom) Routine should enable to stop radio Spotify Music

If I create a new Routine in the Amazon Alexa app on IOS Device I can currently only add the following actions:
    Smart Home, Traffic, Wether, News.
    I would like to have a action which stops Alexa from playing any kind of music or other sound.
    Background: You create the Routine "Goodby" which should turn off all HUE lights and it should stop the Radio(tuneIn on Alexa, or Spotify music). The feature of stopping Music is not available in the app. If I say "Alexa, Stop" the music is stopped. Why is that not available in the app?

33 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  9 comments  ·  Routines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bring Multi-Room support to AudioPlayer API streaming

Alexa Multi Room streaming does not appear to be available for third party skills that leverage the AudioPlayer API.

Feature request is to extend support for Multi Room to the AudioPlayer interface. This could be implemented by adding a custom slot type for the multi room location and then adding an optional parameter to the Play() command to allow the destination room group to be specified.

This has 37 likes and 19 comments as of Mar 2018 on this URL but doesn't show up on this feature forum - https://forums.developer.amazon.com/idea/101848/bring-multi-room-support-to-audioplayer-api-stream.html - so posting again.

27 votes
    Sign in

• amazon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Received  ·  7 comments  ·  Alexa Audio / Video Player  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base